Chapter 1: The Elite Squadron

A/N: frick, the first like 10 chapters are SO. BAD. IM SO SORRY LMFAO i'm re-writing them, i promise, but plzzzz bear with the bad writing --' thank u <3

graphic warning: some parts later in this chapter are gory/graphic. read at your own discretion.

~~~~~

[f]

The warm summer air was filled with excited chattering. A small group of young soldiers spoke cheerfully among themselves as they looked upon their new cloaks with spellbound awe. An overlapping pair of wings; one blue, and the other a white. Eren Yeagar, in particular, seemed to be the most animated, running his fingertips over the stitching proudly.

Mikasa Ackerman and Armin Arlert stood beside him, holding their own cloaks. The glisten in their eyes was just as jubilant; although they shared a subconscious thought for the true purpose of their division, they were happy to have finally found a purpose. They would proudly don the Wings of Freedom. Several other young men and women stood beside them, nervously trying on their cloaks.

Although there was a collective familiarity that surrounded the group as if they were a family, there was an individual who stood a small ways away, hidden under the shade of a tree. Her back leaned against the thick trunk, and she held her own cloak as well. It bore the same symbol as the others.

She threw a longing gaze to the group of excited soldiers, a strange sense of yearning tugging at her gut. But she tore her eyes away and sighed, slipping the cloak over her shoulders. There was no point in brooding over such trivial matters. Turning away from the group, she headed to the training grounds beside the small clearing where the people stood.

A tall wooden log with stubs jutting out from its body stood tall from the ground—a training dummy. Shifting with the new weight around her shoulders, she slid one foot back, crouched, and raised her fists.

She pounded one against one stub, causing it to spin around, almost hitting her in the head before she ducked and landed a roundhouse kick to the middle of the stump. It cracked in half, flying and rolling away in the direction of the group of newbie soldiers. The top part flew and nearly nailed Eren's head, the bottom rolling towards him. He leapt over it just in time and whipped his head to look at Chi in disbelief. The rest of the group followed suit, eyes widening when they spotted the two pieces of shattered wood.

"Oi! Chi! What was that for?!" Eren shouted, his face flushed.

"I'm sorry!" she apologized sheepishly, waving a hand. "I didn't mean to do that." Jean, a tall ash blonde, smirked from behind Eren.

"What a shame," he commented. "It totally should've hit you." Eren turned to glare at Jean, irritated, and they began quarreling. Mikasa intervened and ended the dispute quickly.

Chi watched the ordeal with a sigh, staring back at the others who proceeded to stare at her. They were rather astonished to find that her kick was powerful enough to destroy the training dummy - although these feats of strength were not stranger to them when they were wee recruits. She looked at them exasperatedly, raising a palm in question. They quickly resumed conversation and turned away from her, allowing her to focus on her sparring once more.

This time, she closed her eyes and imagined an opponent. With a slight bend in her knees and her heels digging into the dirt, she threw punches forward and swung her arms. Once she raised them to block her imaginary opponent from landing a jab to her face. She dodged swift kicks and delivered some of her own. Her body twisted and turned, flipped and bent, to defeat the illusion.

But soon, Chi became quite tired. Not physically - she became tired of the lack of a challenge. This wasn't nearly enough. She needed a real opponent - a strong opponent, one that could maintain a good and healthy fight. As recruits, she often sparred against Mikasa, and it never took long until Chi was able to take her down.