Chapter 16: Malorie

"Chi!" Levi screamed over the thundering shower of rubble. He wrapped his arms around both her and the little girl, rolling to the side just as the gigantic stone structure plummeted to the ground. Using his own body as a shield, he protected them against the debris pelting the earth.

"Levi!" Chi cried, helping him stand. The horse was nowhere in sight; it'd most likely ran off or gotten killed in the destruction. Quickly, she undid her 3DMG and strapped it onto Levi with swift fingers. "Get on my back!"

"What?" He fumbled with the gear, puzzled. "Why did you give me this? And why in hell would I ever get on your back, you idiot?"

"Because I can't run with it, and it will do you better than me. Now, either you get on, or all three of us will die!" Before Levi could protest any further, Chi lugged him on her back and hooked his legs around her waist, scooping up the child in her arms. "Hang on tight!"

"Hold o—" She shot off in a sharp burst of speed, dodging the rain of rubble. She hopped swiftly over dead bodies and broken structures alike, careful to hold the squealing girl tightly.

"You idiot, you're the one who's going to get us killed!" Levi cried.

"Well then, I'd rather go down trying to escape than sit there and wait for death!" Chi shot back, determined to get out of the disaster alive.

Levi's lips curled as he wrapped his arms tighter around her neck, saying, "You're an idiot... but you're quite an amazing one."

Her eyes widened at and she stumbled, but she caught herself.

"I'm aware," Chi snapped, her cheeks blossoming a pink shade.

"Don't expect me to be so kind."

Chi couldn't help but smile, picking up her speed. The little girl looked up at her with shimmering eyes, gasping as she gazed at Chi's incredibility. Never had she seen a soldier with such strength.

Finally, after what seemed like eons of running, the destruction calmed momentarily. Chi caught her breath as she let the both of them down.

"Lady, are you okay?" the little girl asked.

Chi smiled warmly and nodded. "Of course I am. Don't worry about me."

Levi crouched down to level with the child, gently placing a hand on her shoulder.

"What's your name?" he asked in a voice that was much softer than usual.

"I'm Malorie," she chimed in a quiet voice, staring at the ground with those glimmering eyes.

"Malorie," Chi mused. "That's a beautiful name. You can call me Chi." She bent down next to Levi. "And this is Levi, humanity's strongest soldier."

Levi glared at Chi and quietly whispered, "You really had to mention that?"

She grinned mischievously. "Yes. It was necessary."

"Wow!" Malorie cheered, looking Levi over with wide eyes. "He's the strongest soldier of all time!"

"Yep! The one and only Levi!" Levi shot Chi another death glare with his metallic gaze.

"That's so cool! But... isn't he a little short?" Her observation caught both of the soldiers off-guard, and Chi burst out laughing. Crossing his arms, Levi huffed in frustration.

"Sure he is," Chi laughed, patting Malorie's blonde hair, "but it just makes him a lot more cuter than he already is, don't you think?" The young child pondered over her words for a view moments.