Chapter 22: The Dancing Titan

Before Chi had ran off with Eren and the others, she made sure to grab a set of 3DMG and strapped it on as quickly as possible—though she fumbled and didn't properly tighten every strap, for she was in a rush.

They climbed onto broad stallions of their own, each grasping a torch to use as sight to make it to the wall. Together they travelled in the dark in complete silence, beads of sweat rolling down the anxious faces they wore. There was the constant fear that titans circled them, as they could see nothing beyond the dim glow of the flickering torches, the night as black as can be.

There was no telling when they would encounter a titan as they trotted through the landscape, though they always had their hands at ready if it were necessary to make a counteroffense attack.

Chi had the unsettling feeling of uneasiness as she quivered with the aching need to go back and take down as many titans as she could, but she knew the others wouldn't have let her in a million years. They knew that she was reckless when it came to things like that. But she couldn't control it, this—this bloodthirst that was like a raging flame.

Because there was nothing else to occupy her mind with, her thoughts kept on flowing back to Levi. She wondered what there was set for them in the future. There was no denying it—she loved him with all her heart. But what was to come?

What would happen if she were eaten? The thought horrified her as she imagined a scene of Levi standing over her mangled body with a look of pure horror on his face. She, above anything else in the world, did not want something like that happen to her beloved. Shaken, Chi shook her head and sighed heavily.

"Chisaki Rivaille," she murmured, testing out the sound on her tongue. "...Hm."

"What?" Hanji asked, turning her head toward her. She rode next to Chi and heard her remark . "Chi? Wasn't your last name Matsumoto?"

"Oh, yeah." She reddened.

"Who's this Rivaille guy? Are you cheating on Levi?" Hanji's brows arched.

"N—no!" Chi exclaimed, nearly falling off her horse in shock "Rivaille is Levi's last name. I'd never do such a thing; I highly doubt I would ever find anyone else who could love me like he does."

"Rivaille?" Hanji scrunched her nose as she fell into thought. "That's not Levi's last name. Who told you that?"

"I—it's not? I learned that it was that way; I've called him Levi Rivaille since the day we met..."

"It's not Rivaille," Hanji chuckled, pushing her glasses up with her forefinger. "It's Ackerman, or so I heard."

"Ackerman?!" Chi repeated, shocked to hear that what she had thought was true all along was really a lie. Moreover, she was even more astonished that he shared last names with Mikasa, of all people.

"Yeah. I overheard some Military Police officers talking about him and they addressed him as 'Levi Ackerman.' He's never corrected you or anything?"

"No. That's strange."

"It is." Hanji averted her attention back to the ground in front of her, her brown eyes shining. "I wonder why..."

Chi sighed heavily and let the silence resume, the only sound being the clopping of the horse's hooves clattering on the ground. When she glanced over at the nervous Eren, she nearly chuckled. She was thinking about the first time she'd seen him—and boy, was he nervous.

It was a shining day, the sun beaming down harshly on the 104th Trainee Squad below, adolescents of all ages shifting nervously on their feet as the Sergeant stomped up to certain soldiers and tore into them.