54| He's back

I let out a yelp as I'm pushed against my door. The scent of alcohol overwhelms me and I can barely breathe when I look my father in his cold, soulless eyes.

He's just how I remembered him.

I let out a scream.

With a motion, he jabs me between the ribs, in the diaphragm, to shut me up. My lungs spasm, making it hard to catch air or stop him as he pulls the front door open wide.

With a hand, he pushes me into the house and slams the door closed from behind.

"Where is your mother?" He growls to me. I'm leaned against the wall, shrinking in fear.

"I-I," I'm shaking.

He shoves me against the wall, and runs to the stairs. At the top, I see Ace has woken and stands in horror.

"Get out!" He yells at our dad.

"No."

Ace doesn't wait. He bounds down the staircase and punches my father in the nose. Blinking back water, I scream again when our dad lunges at Ace.

The larger man pins my brother to the wall, like he had done with me, moments earlier.

He starts to choke Ace. I don't think while I fumble for my phone.

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?"

"Help! I need help. There's an intruder in my home. He's hurting my brother." I whisper, hearing the choking and gurgling noises coming from Ace.

Another shrill scream sounds at the top of the stairs. Mother looks down at the scene in horror.

"Where do you live?"

I give my address.

"Hang on. We have help on the way."

I don't have time to think when I see my mom trying to pull Ace's attacker off of him. She grips my dads shoulders and tugs in vain. He backhands her, letting Ace crumple to the ground simultaneously.

No!!!

I drop my phone and run over to Ace, our father swipes at our mother.

"I finally tracked you down!" He sneers, "you can run from me, Eleanor, but I'll never let you go!"

Ace's face is pale. I shake him, I pat his face, I grip his blond hair.

Ace. Ace wake up!

"Get out!" Mom sobs. "Get out."

I hear her grimace when she takes another push. A glass jar from the kitchen counter drops onto the ground, shattering.

"Ace," I try to rouse him.

It's no use.

I'm squeezing his hand, praying.

Suddenly, the sound of sirens echo around our house.

The door bursts open, and officers seize our father.

One of them pulls me off of Ace, too.

"No!" I fight, but they pull me away while tears stream down my face, and they let the ambulance workers come look at him.

I see my dad being handcuffed. He's fighting against the officers, but they hold him still.

My mom's head is bleeding. She looks shaken to the very core. An officer speaks to her urgently, before walking her over to the ambulance with Ace.