36| Motorcycle invite

Another school day arrives without asking my consent, rudely enough.

I'm busy brooding to myself as I make my way down a bustling, now familiar hallway. I'm heading away from the cafeteria and towards first period.

I try to stop thinking. Shutting my brain off is crucial at this hour.

Above my head I hear a ring. At the same time, I push into the classroom with a hand. My feet cement to the floor when I realize a crowd is gathered around my desk.

Not mine, Bryce's.

What's going on?

I see several students gathered around. Most of all, I see Indie. She sits on his desk, holding his head in her hand. I can't see his face from my spot, but I see Indie moving as if she can.

She looks as if examining his face. I can hear the chatter around the room.

"Bryce, does it hurt?" Indie's voice is thick with worry.

"Excuse me." I whisper to a classmate blocking my desk sp they can get a look at Bryce.

    No need to make a fuss, is there? I try to keep from obviously rolling my eyes. I sit down, unable still to see Bryce even though he sits right beside of me.

What's the deal, anyways?

The hair on my neck threatens to stand when I hear the sound of air between Bryce's teeth, a wince that is covered quickly by Ms. Graves' shrill voice.

"Seats, people. Find your seats!"

Suddenly, the crowd departs. Like the tide being pulled back from the sand, they move out of my way. Unknowingly, Bryce's sideways glance is left to settle on me.

My heart drops down into the cloud in my stomach as it hits me that something is definitely wrong.

Bryce's face-

One brown eye blinks at me like it always does. The other one, however, is shrouded in blue and purple.

I can't help but be taken aback. My lips part. A rush of breath escapes my mouth.

What do I say?

What happened?

He blinks once and turns to face the front of the class. I'm left to deal with the surprise on my own. It's not a good feeling.

My stomach churns throughout the lesson. The bruise on Bryce's face reminds me of unspeakable things. I can't help but think that if only we were on good terms right now... if only I trusted him...I'd ask what did that to his eye.

I bite my lip- sorry that I can't ask.

I wish I could.

When class is over, I'm slow to pack my things. For once, Bryce is out the door. Everyone scatters. I briefly greet Indie, remembering our sleepover. But, she has Anson to catch up to. So she leaves.

On my way to my locker, I can't help but feel like each step away from Bryce is a step in the wrong direction.

It leaves me feeling sick.

The conflicting feelings about him seem more off balance than ever.

Whatever. This doesn't have to do with Meghan. I'll leave that anger and betrayal where it belongs. I'll just check on him. It's the right thing to-

"Hi-" I find myself blurting out against his locker. He stiffens immediately.

His door shuts under a hand. He grits his angular jaw down in my direction. "To what do I owe the pleasure, sunshine?"