33| Reaction time

"Caroline? Honey?"

    I feel a gentle shake on my arm. The sound of my name is muffled by my pillow. I retreat from my hiding place, coming face to face with Meghan in the darkness of her living room.

    I expect to feel some sort of angry or sad feeling, but I only feel empty at the sight of her.

    I am literally nothing in comparison. She's the best cheerleader, prettiest girl, Bryce's choice...

     I swallow. "What?"

    Her eyes narrow at my face. She notices the puffy, tearstained look I'm sporting.  I bite the inside of my cheek.

    "Are you okay?"

    Ironic. You would think she's internally delighting in this- if not at least behind it.

    I take a deep breath. "I guess I just feel sick." I force out.

    "Stomach? Throat? Head?" She makes a pouty face. "What's ailing you?"

    You are. I should say.

   "I need to go home. This was a mistake. I'll call Ace," I push myself off of the sofa. I can't act like this doesn't hurt. I can't act like I'm not a ball of nauseousness.

    I can't stay here! Not with Meghan's winning gaze. Not with an unfamiliar pillow to cover in my tears.

    "You sure?" Her voice is a mix of sympathy and concern. I swat it away with a hand.

    I'm not sure of anything but this. I press my phone to my ear to call Ace.

    After a few minutes, I'm going with my brother- Meghan is left behind. He helps me throw my duffel into the back seat. His gaze is questioning as I hop into the car without a word.

     Finally we're moving, and Ace speaks up. "Caroline, what's wrong?"

    "I don't," my voice breaks.

    I can't talk about it.

    I feel like an ignorant fool.

    Ace grips the steering wheel tighter. "Talk to me, sis. Did Meghan do something to you?"

   Yes. No.

    I don't know.

    Maybe I did this to myself.

    "I just- I think I just got my feelings hurt."

    "What the hell did she do?"

     I focus on my lap. Ace absentmindedly dims his lights as we meet an oncoming car. I hear the click of the control in the stillness.

   "I think I was starting to really like Bryce."

    "Bryce?" Ace's brows furrow. "Bryce Brown? What's he got to do with this?"

    Everything, unfortunately.

    "Bryce and I have spent some time together alone. And he kissed me the other day. And then the next day. And then at school. We were starting to feel like..." my voice dies off.

    "Did Meghan say something?" Ace questions, "I mean, Bryce is a good guy, right?"

   I nod. "But no matter how close he gets to me- I guess his history with Meghan is too much to forget."

   "History? Don't tell me he-"

    "I thought Bryce liking me meant he liked me and only me- exclusively." I shake my head, "I think I was wrong."