32| Another nightmare

"Shimmering rosé or glowing honeydew?"

     I purse my lips with thought when Meghan holds up two nail polish shades in front of my face. She is laying across her sofa on her stomach. I'm relaxing on the carpeted floor in her home.

     "I personally liked pearl shimmer." I shrug, but Meghan squeals in delight.

    "Perfect! Pearl, of course!" She sits up quickly and selects the bottle from the pile. "It's so elegant but so simple."

    I nod, opting to paint my nails with a coating of clear. "I just like the natural look."

    Meghan giggles, "that reminds me of that tiktok."

    I raise a skeptical brow, "I'm not really familiar with that."

    Meghan pulls an eyeliner pen from her makeup bag. With one hand, she unscrews the cap and trails the eyeliner between her front two teeth.

    "Get the London look." She says in a horrible British accent.

    I laugh awkwardly. What the hell was that? Maybe I should download tiktok...

    She sighs with discontent and rubs the liner off her pearly white teeth. "Why so out of touch, Caroline? It's just a bit of fun. You don't laugh much, do you?"

    Meghan's one to talk about lightheartedness.

    "I prefer to be serious. And even in humor I prefer to be heavy on the sarcasm ."

    "Yeah. And I've noticed you have enough sass to carry the entire cheer team on your own."

    What's that supposed to mean? I think sarcastically.

    Meghan shrugs. "I like you, Caroline. I think you're a good cheerleader. Pity you moved so late in your highschool career."

    "I'm just glad I did move."

    She tilts her head. Her catlike eyes narrow. "Why is that?"

    Oof- no secret spilling here. Unloading on Bryce was enough. Plus Meghan is about the last person to trust with a secret.

    "You know- my old town just got... old." My tongue is light on the last word.

    "Well I guess being the new girl is fun. You get to reinvent yourself." Meghan purses her lips.

   "I'm actually just the same person."

    "Really? Well having the attention of all of the boys probably has you perked up!"

   What happened to no boy talk tonight?

   "I don't think I'm really on their radars." I whisper, nonchalant.

   "Oh come on! Seth, for one, is a cutie. He's totally into you." She nudges my arm with an elbow.

    Seth? I snort out loud. "Seth is not into me! He's literally just a friend."

    That's what works about us! He's another new kid like I am and he gets it.

   "Please," Meghan scoffs, "are you blind? He likes you."

    My confidence in our friendship wavers, a bit.

    Is that true? Does Seth like me?

   I haven't considered that before now.

   "Whatever you say," I dismiss her with an uncertain chuckle.