23| Baklava blushes

On Friday morning, Bryce, Indie, Anson, and I are excused from school by Ms. Graves. After giving our Shakespeare presentations, apparently, she picked the the four of us to represent the Highschool at the local elementary school's literacy event.

    So , naturally , we all carpool.

    We're instructed to go to the gym, as soon as we arrive at the elementary school. When we make it in, I see stations set up with teachers swarming around them. Indie spots a large cardboard hogwarts castle set up in the distance.

   "Anson!" She grabs her boyfriend, "We've got to go over there before this starts!"

    We make it to our empty table. Anson puts our books down and disappears with Indie to the Harry Potter area. I open my mouth to say something, but a man appears behind us.

    "You're the students Ms. Graves sent over?" His mustache twitches with his smile. Bryce nods and offers a hand.

   The mustached man explains, "I'm Principal Duncan."

   Bryce smiles, his jaw is tight, "I'm Bryce Brown, and this is Caroline."

    I offer a friendly grin.

   "Oh, I remember you, Bryce! Great to meet you, too, Caroline." Principal Duncan nods.

    Bryce smiles, "we've got two other students with us. They're, uh, touring the place."

   "That's great! You two are welcome to do the same. We will get started in about 30 minutes."

    "Great. Thanks sir." Bryce dips his head as Principal Duncan walks off.

    When he's gone, Bryce exhales a pent-up breath. "That was so awkward."

    I make a face. "Why didn't you tell me you used to go here?"

   "Who cares? It's elementary school and it's changed since I've been here."

    "Still," I look around the gym, "it's kind of cool to think about a prepubescent Bryce running around here."

    He crosses his arms in front of his chest. "Whatever, Caroline."

    I turn to our empty table. "Should we set out these books now?"

     "Nah. Let's go have a look around first."

    "Okay," I shrug, following Bryce through the different stations.

    I get to one station where kids get to take camp half-blood shirts. Bryce watches me look through some of the Percy jackson books.

    A teacher strolls up to us. "Want a shirt?"

    I nod excitedly. "Yes, please!"

   She tosses me a orange shirt, before looking at Bryce. "Give him a SPQR shirt." I chuckle.

   She tosses him a purple shirt. He grabs it, whispering to me as we walk away. "Why?"

   "The Roman camp." I pat his shoulder, "you'd for sure be Roman."

    It's like childhood rushing back... the good part of childhood.

    "Let's put them on." Bryce nods to the shirt in his hands.

   What, now? I can't rip my shirt off to change just anywhere!

   "Come on. I'll block you."

    Bryce leads ms beneath a set of the bleachers. It's dark in this gym corner.

    He stands in front of me and turns around. I pull my shirt off slowly and replace it with the half-blood shirt. Bryce slips his over his figure. It's tight at his biceps.