39| Forgive me

"You should call your mom, or Ace," Bryce whispers, "or both."

I've forgotten everything and everyone it seems until now.

I nod, reaching for my cellphone. It's still intact from the motorcycle crash, I don't know how. Thanks to otter box, I guess.

Behind me, Seth speaks up frantically. "Caroline, I didn't mean for this- I don't-"

I ignore him, pressing my phone to my ear. I see Bryce watching me with concern flooding his expression.

"Mom? It's me. I need you to meet me..."

"...At the hospital."

I recall the events of that night as I ice my butt all of Monday afternoon. My mom urged that I stay out of school while I recovered from the motorcycle accident. But I feel that I've recovered... because it doesn't seem real.

Sure, I've got a few stitches in my head, but my memories don't seem like reality. It doesn't matter how many ways I recall it.

I'm laying in bed when my phone rings. Seth. I release the pillow in my arms to answer his call. I've not spoken to him since we went separate ways in the emergency room.

"H-hello?" I ask timidly.

I hear a breath of relief on the other end.

"Caroline, it's so good to hear your voice."

My grip tightens on my cellphone. "You too." I squeeze my eyes shut.

"Are you feeling alright?"

I take a deep breath. "I'm- recovering."

    "You?" I ask after a moment.

I hear Seth inhale. "Caroline, I'm so, so sorry. I've not gotten an ounce of sleep for at least 48 hours. I keep thinking that you'll blame me for this. I mean, it's my fault, but..."

What? My head hurts. No!

"Seth, you can't blame yourself. Nothing that happened was your fault. I'm not holding it against you."

    "I should have never taken you out so late on that bike, being no more experienced than I am-" he stops.

"Seeing you're not in school today just makes it worse." He sighs, "thinking that I've caused you this pain is just- it's terrible. I hope you can forgive me."

"There's nothing to forgive you for." I bite my lip. "It was an accident. No one forced me into the bike. And, between you and me, I only stayed home today to appease my mom."

    "You're not hurting?"

     I shrug. "I've had stitches before. And- the rest of the events just seem like another bad dream. So I'm recovered."

     "I would be traumatized-"

     "There are other traumas that put that to shame," I quickly dismiss him.

After a moment, I hear a relieved chuckle. "Better safe than sorry though."

"Yeah- Mom goes to work soon. Between you and me, I planned to get a ride to school to make it in time for cheer practice today." I bite my lip. "Icing my bruises is already getting old."

"You're kidding?" Seth chuckles. "Nothing can keep you down! Do you want me to give you a dri-" he stops talking, "actually that's probably the last thing you want."