Chapter 25

** Danny's POV **

"So then, what are you planning to do then?" I asked Jules as we ran side by side on the treadmills.

Sweat was pouring down both of our faces and soaking our clothes as we came closer to the end of our workouts.

Julian shrugged. "I mean it's our second anniversary... So maybe a nice dinner? I think we may wanna try for another one, but we haven't really talked too much about it," Julian replied. "But there's that, too."

I pursed my lips and nodded, not saying anything as I continued to run. I was happy for them— of course I was... But it hurt. It almost felt like baby envy. It was no longer baby fever, but baby envy.

I was beyond worried about Jamie. I know that I'd always said I wanted a baby, but when it came down to it... she was enough. I'd love to have a little her in my arms, but if I couldn't that was okay.

He slowed the treadmill down to a stop and let out a sigh as he wiped his face with a towel. "Listen man... I'm sorry," Julian said. His blue eyes were looking back at me, full of hurt. "You don't deserve this... No one does... But you and Jamie don't."

I brought my treadmill to a stop and shook my head, looking back at him with no emotion. "Is it bad that I don't care?" I asked as I shook my head and ran a hand down my face. "I mean I do..." I looked up to see Jules staring back at me in confusion. "I want to have kids... God I do..."

A sigh left Jules mouth. "But you'd rather have her..." He finished my sentence.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I can't live without her. I'm not going to leave her over an inability to have a baby."

"Have you told her that?" He questioned. "I think that's something she may need to hear.

"Of course I have," I shot back. "She's been through so much. I just hope she'll be able to actually listen and understand that everything will be okay." We began walking toward the locker room.

"Hopefully talking with Penny will help her," Julian replied. "She probably really needs to girl on girl time."

I nodded. "I sure hope so..." My eyes shot open. "Was she... Was she bringing Leo with her!?" My heart began to race. As much as Jamie loved him, maybe it wouldn't be such a great idea to bring him with.

Jules shook his head. "No... Gisele took him so he could play with Vivian," he replied. "Pen and I agreed that it wouldn't be too good of an idea to have him around her... Or you for a little bit."

My feet stopped me right where I was as I looked at him in confusion. "Me? Why me?" I questioned.

"You two need time to think about each other... Not kids. You two need to get back to being you. When she's feeling up to it... Take her out. Go for a walk... Do something." Julian advised. "Take some time to think."

"Oh fuck off," I mumbled. "You're not my parents."

***

I shifted the car into park and sat there. Did I really need to take some time off too? Some time to slow down and think?

Jules wasn't always right— and that's what I kept telling myself... That was until I realized it was probably Penny who said it. And she was almost always right.

I didn't want to think about it, but it appeared to follow me wherever I went. After a minute, I undid my seatbelt and climbed out of the car. Once I was in the house, both Clay and Claire barked at me in excitement.

"Hey guys," I mumbled as I moved down to pet them. "How are you?" I looked up to study the living room. The blanket had moved and her purse was gone, but that was it. I didn't see much else.

I let out a sigh of relief as it meant that Jamie had finally gotten up. She had been worrying me beyond belief. To double check, I moved down the hall and checked the bedroom, which was empty.

A sigh of relief left my mouth as I threw my head back, silently thanking God. Penny had worked her magic. She had finally gotten Jamie out of the house.

I moved into the living room and sat down on the couch. "Hey boy," I said as Clay moved up and placed his head on my knee. "Mommy finally left."

He only looked up at me with those big puppy dog eyes. "She May finally be getting better," I told him. "And she may be ready to return to work tomorrow!"

I let out a chuckle. "I'm so glad she's finding distractions," I admitted. "I can't wait to work things through... Be the way we used to be. I really miss the old her sometimes."

Be only continued to look up at me with wide eyes. "I just want her to be happy," I mumbled. "That's all I've ever wanted."

He started crying as he continued to look up at me. "Alright. I'll let you guys out," I whispered. "Then I'll text mommy and ask when she'll be home."

I stood up and moved to the back door so I could pull the door open. I followed the two out and sat down in a patio chair where I pulled my phone out.

Danny 12:06
Hey babe. When will you be home?? Hope you're having fun with Pen!

The amount of thankfulness I had for Penny at that moment was through the roof. Hopefully it'd get her to talk about her feelings and come to full terms with the situation.

Danny 12:06
Thank you for getting Jamie out. I truly appreciate it. Love you and Jules.

A small smile was on my face as I slid the phone back in my pocket. Claire moved up to me with one of her tennis balls. She dropped it in my hand. I tossed it and she took off running.

After a solid 20 minutes, we decided to head inside as it was still a bit chilly outside.

When we got inside, I moved into the bedroom and turned the lights on. It was about time the sheets be changed, so I stopped the bed and moved into the bathroom to grab a spare set from the closet,

I stopped dead in my tracks upon seeing a folded piece of paper next to my sink. "Danny" was written onit in Jamie's handwriting.

My heart was pounding as I looked down at it. I noticed the weight to it as I picked it up. Unfolded it and her wedding ring fell out.

My breath was caught in my throat as I began reading.

"Danny,

I love you. I love you beyond belief. But I can't do this to you. I've ruined your life without trying. And please know that I am sorry about that. That I never meant to hurt you. I never meant to ruin your plans.

Truth be told, kids with you were always in my plans even though I didn't know it. It hurts me so much that I can't fulfill what our dream was...

I can't even think about the look on your face since we found out. That's why I've made the hardest decision ever.

I'm removing myself from this situation. For my health as well as yours.

I'm sorry... I love you. I regret tearing you away from Olivia. She made you happy. And she could've given you what you want most— a family.

Jamie"

I stared at the ring for a second as tears began falling down my face.