Chapter 15

I've been off the grid the past week. I never thought I wouldn't be able to post last week. Hopefully I can get two chapters out this week! Enjoy!

"I was hoping he'd wake up before we left tomorrow morning," I mumbled as I sat down in a chair next to grandpa's bed. I grabbed his hand and studied his bruised face. He looked peaceful, which I liked to see, but I still couldn't crip it.

I missed his eyes. They were always so gentle. And his smile. His smile always lit up the room. I missed his stories too. That would be one of the hardest things to get on without. He had a story that connected to anything...

Danny let out a sigh as he sat down in the chair next to me. "We could stay an extra few days," he offered as he kept his eyes on my grandpa. "I don't have much planned. I'm sure Nick could move back your start in the Communications department."

"No," I said. I shook my head. "I don't want special treatment. I want to be treated like everyone else. I'll be there in two days rain or shine."

It's who I am, and I knew my grandpa wouldn't want to see me miss my first day of my new job. In fact, he would probably be disappointed.

Danny let out a sigh but nodded. He brought his arm up and draped it over my shoulder. "That's fine then... You choose what you want; I'm just along for the ride."

I nodded. "I need some coffee," I told him as I stood up. "I'm starting to get a headache. Going to see if they have anything good to eat, too. I'm pretty hungry."

"Alright," Danny said, giving an unsure look. "I'll Uh... I'll let you know if anything changes. And... Do you think you could bring back water for me?"

"Yeah," I replied as I placed a hand on his shoulder and leaned down to press a kiss to his lips. "Thank you for being here with me. I really appreciate it."

He smiled up at me with a shine in his eyes. "I love ya, Jame."

"I love you, too," I replied with a small smile on my face. "I'll be back."

** Danny's POV **

I let out a long sigh as she moved out of the room. The smile she had given me was just as fake as the other ones she'd given me since we got the phone call.

At this point in time, all I wanted was for her to let her feelings out to me. For her to finally feel okay again. I missed my easy going, let everything roll off your back, Jamie. I was happy that she blew up at me the night before— but something still didn't seem to sit right with me.

The worry was beginning to eat me alive and I didn't know how much longer I could take without breaking down on her completely.

As I sat there, I continued to look between the door and her grandfather, who still wasn't awake. As much as we didn't get together when we first met, I've grown to love him. And I felt that he had grown a large understanding for me as well.

He was so supportive and encouraging to Jamie in any situation. And I had tons of respect for that. We both wanted nothing but the best for her— for our Jamie.

I was glad she was willing to take a step away from the room— she needed a distraction. One thing that was certainly one of my main goals was trying to get her to go for a walk later in the day to get some fresh air.

A change in his heart monitor made me pull my attention from the door and to him. His muscles were tensed up a bit... Then both of his eyes popped open.

"Clarence?" I asked. I went straight to my feet as he looked up at me with pain in his eyes. "You... You want me to get a nurse?!" I was shocked.

He was awake. He was looking at me. The way his eyes widened told me yes.

I quickly moved across the room and hit the nurse button. The nurses voice didn't come through the speaker, but there was the sounds of footsteps down the hall before one of the nurses came rushing into the room.

"Clarence! Hi hun," she greeted, her voice extremely calm. "How are you feeling? Do you need some water?"

His eyes went wide as his hands tightened into fists. I did exactly what Jamie would've done. I moved over and grabbed ahold of his hand. "Hey... it's okay." I looked over to the nurse. "Yeah... Grab a water please."

I could tell he was nervous as he looked up at me. He wanted to speak but didn't seem able to. I continued to hold his hand. "Hey, you're okay. Everything's fine. Everyone is okay." The nurse handed me the water.

I brought it up and tipped it a bit. It was like he instantly began to calm himself down. His hand let go of mine and he moved it to

"Could you please leave the room? The doctor will be in any second to do an evaluation," the nurse asked, instantly pulling me out of my thoughts.

I looked up at her in shock and let out a sigh before looking back to him and letting my head drop. "Alright..."

My feet were heavy as I made my way out into the hall. What was I going to tell Jamie? She was going to be back any second and would want to talk to him. To see him.

All I could do was pray as I leaned up against the wall and looked up. He seemed okay. Whether he even knew who I was or not... I had no clue. He didn't seem to know where he was.

I let out a huff and ran my hands through my hair. My heart was pumping. How was Jamie going to react?

I didn't have to think about it much longer.

"Danny?" Her voice asked, soft but shaky.

My head snapped toward her. She was stood in the middle of the hall, looking at me with wide eyes.

"I-Is he..." she mumbled as I strided toward her. She couldn't get her sentence out.

I instantly shook my head. "He's awake, babe," I whispered.

Her brown eyes went wide as tears began to form. "Th-Thank god!" She sobbed into my chest. "I didn't lose him. I can't lose him."

Are y'all enjoying this book? I'd love some feedback so I can improve.