Chapter 29

** Jamie's POV **

"Ah, right back at our favorite place in the world," Katie said as she shifted the car into park.

We were at the Fox River Mall. One of our favorite places to spend time as kids. There were hundreds of memories in the mall and quite honestly, half my clothes were still from there.

"It's been years," I mumbled. "The last time I was here was probably just before college. Is Gloria Jeans still here? They have the best coffee known to man."

"Of course they are! Let's go! We can even stop at J. Jill. We can both finally afford their clothing," she joked as we began to make our ways toward the mall.

My eyes widened. She was right. "You're right, Katie! We have to! Just to say we finally did it," I replied. "This is kinda exciting!"

It felt good to be able to be myself. To not have to worry about anyone or anything other than myself. It was... refreshing in a way.

When we got inside, we practically B-lined to J. Jill. The store (and mall) were almost exactly the same as when we were kids.

In the matter of minutes, I found a black dress I was in love with, but couldn't find myself to cough up 300 dollars for it... That was when a pair of boots caught my eye.

My eyes nearly popped out of my head at seeing the initial price tag... 180 dollars. That was when I caught the little Orange price tag on the other side of the box. On sale for 100. It was still pricey, but that was much more doable.

I was suddenly glad that over the past damn near 2 years we'd been together that Danny wanted every paycheck of mine to go into my own account. He called my fund a rainy day fund.

And I would be needing it if I'd officially be on my own again. My heart clenched at the thought. I'd be in a mess in the coming weeks. If Nick still wanted me to work, would I choose there? Or go back home? If I was at home, I'd be less likely to see Danny... Ever again.

Then again, nothing could ever erase him completely.

Once we'd both spent damn near all our savings on one item each, Katie and I made a few laps around the mall. Neither of us could decide where we wanted to go.

I stopped for a second as we were about to Pass Build A Bear. "Hey, Katie, let's go in here," I said. "I wanna... Let's get a bear."

I didn't know what I was doing. It was like I was on autopilot and a kid again. We began to look through all of the premade options that they had. As soon as I laid eyes on it, I knew I had to get it.

As I picked up the small pink bear with little pacifiers and baby pins on it, I knew I had to get it.

"James?" Katie asked as I took a second and continued to stare down at the bear in my hands.

When I looked up, my watery eyes connected with hers. "J-Julia... Julia Penelope Amendola," I whispered. I wiped my tears and shook my head.

It was the first time I'd said her name out loud. I'd only ever thought about it. Didn't even mention it to Danny. I couldn't help but decide on it after realizing all Jules and Pen did for us that day.

"Come here," she said with open arms. I instantly hugged her as tight as I could. "She'd be so beautiful, James."

I nodded. "I-I wish we could've prevented it from happening," I told her.

"I know, Hun. I know. We all know and wish there was a way."

About 30 minutes later, we decided to stop walking around and finally stop for a coffee at Gloria Jeans.

I grabbed a table while she went to order for us. As I sat there, I decided it was time to check my phone.

There was a long text from Danny. I hadn't read any earlier messages from him and still refused to, but I decided to read this one.

Danny 12:48

I love you. And I want you to know that. The girls told me to let you have your space. And I will respect that after today. Just please know that you're my one and only and you're the only one I could ever love. You mean so much more to me than having a child. Please come home soon. I love you and miss you more than anything.

My heart skipped a beat. I missed him more than anything. And his message made me want to go home.

I really shouldn't have darted. But it was good to have distance.

"Alright, Americano with one sugar," Katie said as she placed my coffee in front of me.

I put my phone down and smiled up at her. "Thank you," I said. "I've been dying for a good coffee lately."

She smiled back. "And what a better place? I swear they remembered my full order," she joked. "We used to come here four or five times a week!"

I chuckled and nodded. "I wouldn't be surprised if they remembered it."

Katie let out a sigh as she locked eyes with me. "So uh... What are your plans for the rest of your time here?" She asked. "How long are you staying?"

"I was kinda hoping we could stop and see my grandparents on the way back to yours tonight," I said.

"That's fine. Then are you going to go to your parents tomorrow?" She asked.

I nodded. "That's the plan."

***

"Hey Grandma," I greeted as she opened the front door.

Her eyes went wide. "Oh Jamie! And Katie! How are you?! This is such a surprise!" Grandma practically squealed as she pulled both of us in for hugs.

"Hey Gram," I greeted as I hugged her back. "I wanted to stop in and see you guys."

"I'm so glad! Come in! Your grandpa was just asking about you," she informed as she pushed the door shut.

My eyebrows raised in surprise. "Oh... Is he in the den?" I questioned.

She nodded. I shuffled back and made my way to his den... Packers stuff filled the walls, especially his prized stock in the team.

"Grandpa?" I asked as I moved into the room. He was sitting in his big chair reading the newspaper.

He brought the paper down and looked ahead. His eyes were wide. "James? Is that you?"

I nodded as he stood up. I moved toward him and accepted his hug. "How are you? Are you feeling better?"

"I'm good," he responded as he sat back down. I didn't expect him to know what was happening with me as the whole family was focused on his healing. "It's been a while... Is Danny here? I haven't seen him since the wedding."

My breath hitched. Did he... get his memory back? And no one told me.

I shook my head. "No... He uh... he had some training to do back in Boston," I lied.

"That's a shame. I look forward to seeing him again," he told me. "You two are perfect... But uh... I must apologize for cutting your honeymoon short."

I shook my head. "Please... No don't. You're okay, that is all that matters, Gramps."

"I also owe him and you an apology," he said.

"It's not your fault," I jumped in. "Don't think otherwise.

"I don't know how I could forget such a nice young man," grandpa confessed. "Especially because he is perfect for you."

Tears began to gather in my eyes. I felt like I was in such a hard place.

All I wanted was to be in Danny's arms and have him tell me it would all be okay.