Chapter 12

"What are you making?" I asked as I shuffled into the kitchen from the master bedroom.

After hours of relaxing in the sun and swimming, I decided to take a shower while Danny decided to begin making dinner.

The moment I walked out of the bedroom, a wonderful, sweet, yet zesty, aroma took over my nostrils.

"Nonna Amendola's recipe for Pasta Carbonara," he mumbled as he stirred the sauce in a pot. He was deep in cooking mode. "I thought it would be good to make her dish since she made when we'd come and visit her. She's told us how her mom would make it all the time and it always made her think of home— of Italy."

"Now we can always think of our honeymoon," I mumbled as I moved up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist. I leaned my cheek against his clothed back and took in his scent.

He chuckled, causing his whole body to vibrate. "You know I still can't believe I got you to Italy," he mumbled. "Our place there is great. But it's so nice to enjoy something new."

I pulled my face from his back. "Our place? You bought it Danny," I shot back, surprised at his words.

Danny turned off the burner on the stove and turned in my arms to look at me. One of his hands moved up to my cheek while the other wrapped around my back, pulling me to him. "Jame," he said, his brown eyes carefully studying me, "We're married now. What's yours in mine. We've been over this. When we get back to the states I'll get your name on my account. And we'll have your name be put on the house in Hawaii."

I gave him an unsure look. "You don't need to do that," I mumbled. "We can keep our stuff separate if that's what you want."

A smile made its way into his face as he shook his head and moved a piece of my hair behind my ear. "Never. I want everything to be ours." He leaned down to press a small kiss at the top of my nose.

I giggled and nodded. "Okay," I replied as I looked back into those eyes. I moved my hands up to rest on his chest. "Is dinner almost ready?" I questioned.

Danny nodded. "Just gotta put it all together. Do you want to go grab the wine from the wine cooler?" He asked, motioning to the cooler where we were stocked with at least 5 bottles of wine.

I tried to move from Danny, but he kept his hands on my waist. "I love you," he told me before pressing his lips to mine.

"I love you, too," I whispered and shot him a wink before pulling away. "Let's get this show on the road! I'm hungry!"

I could practically hear him roll his eyes. "When are you not hungry!?"

***

"That was one of the best meals you have ever made. Why don't you cook like that at home? You like only ever make Chicken Parm!" I complained as I leaned forward to pour myself some more wine.

Danny shrugged. "Marriage does a whole lot to you," he replied. "I find myself wanting to make you even happier than before... To ensure that I am enough for you."

I rolled my eyes as I took a sip of the crispy, tasty, wine. "You don't need to do that," I mumbled. "You're always enough, Danny." I leaned forward and placed my hand on his. "Now let's get up and do the dishes so we can watch the sunset."

I let go of his hand and swooped up both of our plates along with utensils. As I made my way to the sink, a firm pair of hands grabbed my waist. "You shouldn't have to do the dishes," Danny practically growled. "Let me."

My eyes fell shut as I leaned back into his warm touch, but they quickly snapped open as I pulled away. "No," I told him, giving him a serious look. "You go and relax. I will do them."

Danny let out a huff before rolling his eyes. "Fine. You win this time, but you let me do them next time. You shouldn't have to lift a finger! It's your honeymoon!"

It was now my turn to roll my eyes. "It's yours too, Danny," I mumbled before turning on my heels. "Now grab our wines and I'll meet you outside."

He finally didn't want to argue. He grabbed both of our glasses and headed out to the Gazebo. As I stood at the sink, watching out the window, I couldn't help but feel amazed.

I still didn't know how I lucked out with such a good guy... or even how lucky I was to be able to be as happy as I was.

Once Danny sat down outside, he took a long swig from his glass of wine and rested back against the pillows of the bed type furniture. He looked so calm... so handsome.

After the dishes were done, I grabbed my phone from the table and pushed my way out the back door. When I got to the gazebo, I slid onto the furniture next to Danny and leaned into him.

"Thank you for doing the dishes," he thanked as he wrapped an arm around my waist.

"Thank you for dinner," I replied. "You did the hard work. And it was so good." I leaned over to grab my glass and took a sip.

"My pleasure," Danny mumbled and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

I let out a sigh and looked back up at him— meeting those beautiful brown eyes. "Do you... Wanna take a picture together?" I asked, knowing how private the both of us could be.

A smile made its way into his face. "Of course," he said as he pulled me closer to him.

I smiled back and pulled my camera up on my phone. "Do you just wanna smile at the camera?" I asked as I positioned it up in the 'selfie position'.

"I think I've got a better idea," he whispered as he pulled my phone from my hand. He kept the phone at the same height, but pressed his lips to mine.

A giggle escaped as he deepened the kiss. "I love you, Jame. You make me the happiest man on the planet."

I smiled at him and leaned in to press a kiss at the corner of his mouth. "You make me the happiest woman. I love you, too, Danny."

"I'm so happy we were broug-..." Danny was cut off by my phone blaring.

As we looked at my phone, a picture of my mom was on the screen. I let out a dramatic huff. "Ugh. What does she want?" I rolled my eyes and pressed decline. "Whatever it is can wait a bit... This is our night..."

Danny raised an eyebrow. "The next week will all be our nights, too, Jame. You could've taken the call."

I shrugged. "It'll be fi-..." I was cut off again by the phone ringing. As I rolled my eyes I hit the accept button.

"Hello?" I asked as I brought it up to my ear.

"Jamie! Thank god you answered! Y-Your grandpa is in a coma!" My mom bawled into the phone.

My eyes went wide.