Chapter 2

** unedited

Important note at the end of the chapter.

** Danny's POV **

The door handle began to jiggle and I jumped back, waiting for the door to be pulled open. When the door did crack, a pair of puffy brown eyes were looking back at me.

"Jame," I said, desperation apparent in my voice. "I-I'm so sorry."

She didn't say anything. Just left the door cracked and walked back to the bed where she laid down and turned her back to me.

"Jamie... It's just that Olivia..."

"Don't you dare say that bitches name," she jumped in. She sat up and looked toward me. Hatred was in her eyes. "Why Danny? Am I really not enough anymore?!"

I rapidly shook my head. "Of course not! Jamie, you're my whole world!" I exclaimed. I'd always known she was insecure, but I'd never realized she had such a hatred toward Olivia.

I didn't necessarily like her at this point, but she was a good person... One who didn't make a decision that was based on me— that's what hurt the most when she took the job... Didn't seem to think about Us.

One thing that I got out of the terrible ending with Olivia was Jamie... And for that, I was thankful everyday.

Jamie shook her head. "I-It didn't seem like it when she was holding your hands! Or hugging you!" She cried back. She let out a loud sniffle and closed her eyes. When those brown eyes were looking back at me, they were full of hurt.

"Let me explain, Jame. I promise you. It is not what you think," I told her. "Please babe."

She wiped her eyes and looked at me for a second before she nodded.

*** Flashback ***

I walked into the cafe, peeking over my sun glasses to see if Olivia had come yet. I didn't see her, so I sat down at a table and waited as I looked at the little coffee menu sitting there.

I was nervous to say the least. I didn't want anything to do with her... But she texted me and then called begging me to meet with her.

Against my better judgement, I agreed. I knew Jamie wouldn't be happy when she found out... So I decided to wait to tell her until after Olivia and I met up. And I wanted to tell her in person.

"Hi Danny," Olivia's high pitched voice greeted as she slid into the seat across from me. She leaned back and shot a small smile at me as she took her sunglasses off.

Those big brown eyes were looking back at me. The ones that I used to love. The ones that once made me happy.

A chill shot down my spine. Jamie's were so much better. Hers looked at me with a different look. A meaningful one. A loving one.

"Hi," I greeted as I slid my sunglasses off and placed them on the table in front of me. "How are you?"

She gave me a sad smile and shrugged. "I've been okay. How about you?" She asked.

"Pretty good. Jamie and I are getting married next month," I told her. A small smile made its way to my face. I couldn't wait to marry my girl.

"I've heard. Congratulations, Danny," she told me. Her voice was small as those big brown eyes looked at me— an unsure look in them. "I'm glad you're happy."

"Thank you," I said. "I appreciate it..." I let out a sigh. We needed to stop beating around the bush. I didn't want to be there longer than I needed to be. It was our last day in California and Jules and I had a big dinner planned.

"Why'd you wanna meet here, Liv?" I asked. It was so weird calling her that. I'd only ever called her that when we were together.

She let out a sigh as she broke eye contact with me. When she looked down at her lap it was clear that she was looking at something in one of her hands.

"I just can't seem to let go," she whispered. She looked up at me and let out a long sigh. "I've met someone... But I... I need closure, Danny. I know you've moved on. But I just..."

I sat there speechless. I prayed that she wouldn't cry... Those brown eyes were full of a look I'd never seen from her before.

"I know I've almost screwed you and Jamie over before... I don't... I never meant to... I just... This has gone with me everywhere I've traveled to since we broke up. I wanted to give it back," she whispered as she still fumbled with whatever was in her hands.

I was confused. I knew she wanted to meet me, but I never expected this to be the reason.

After a few seconds, she lifted it above the table so I could see it. There in her hands, shining in the light cascading through the window was the charm bracelet that I had given her when I told her I loved her.

My heart began to pound. Sometimes It felt just like yesterday that I met her. "Olivia..." I whispered as I kept my eyes away from hers and continued to look at the bracelet.

"I can't hold on to this anymore, Danny. It makes me think about the  best relationship I've ever been in. I still regret leaving the way that I did," she admitted. "I hope you know I'm sorry. I really am, Danny. I'm so happy you found... J- her..."

Before I could respond, Olivia reached over and grabbed my hands, placing the bracelet in one, and bringing the other over the top to make sure I was cupping the bracelet.

"Danny, I hope you really do believe me. I'm sorry for what I've done to both her and you," she said. She was still holding my hands. It felt so wrong.

When I didn't say anything, she let out a sigh and let go of my hands. "I should be going. I have to go and meet..."  She trailed off and stood up.

She let out a long sigh and shook her head-- Like she knew this was a mistake. I put the bracelet down on the table and stood up. The chair I was in moved back with a loud screech. "Olivia... Wait..."

She stopped before she could walk past our table. "Thank you," I told her. "I appreciate it." She pulled me into her arms and nodded.

"Thank you, Danny. I really appreciate it. I'm happy for you."

***

"Why did you keep it from me?" She asked as she ran a hand through her hair. Her eyes were red and puffy.

I let out a sigh. "I didn't think you'd find out the way you did. I was going to tell you when I saw you," I told her. "I never meant to hurt you."

"What were you going to do when I found the bracelet in your bag?" She shot back with a knowing look.

I shook my head. "You wouldn't have," I told her. I reached over to grab her hand. "I threw it in the garbage as soon as I walked out of the coffee shop."

Jamie didn't respond by words... The next thing I knew was her lips were on mine. I wrapped my arms around her and deepened the kiss. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you," I whispered as I parted our lips.

Our foreheads were resting against each other as we looked into each other's eyes. "It's okay. I love you, Danny. I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions."

***

I'm very sad to announce that I need to take some time off from writing. While Wattpad has been a big distraction during this tough time for a lot of us, it's also been a big distraction from school.

I will be back mid May. For the mean time, please enjoy this chapter. I'm sorry for having to put this book aside for a bit, but I didn't think school would be as stressful as it is right now. I hope you all understand.

Thank you <3

-JJ