the eighth chapter.

08

" SHIT "

if luke hemmings was the physical embodiment of a word, the word would be power. he had the strength, he had the confidence, he had everything, but he had yet to find something to lose.

"lucas—"

"don't call me that," he interrupted his friend, who also happened to be the manager of the forest. "what do you want?" he grumbled, circling around his target, throwing a few strong punches here and there.

the blond was currently training for his fight the next day. a mix of punching bags, sweat, and his unbelievable amount of energy all played a role in luke's motivation to finish his four hour gym session and finally go home.

"your training's almost done for the day," ashton said as he leaned his elbows onto one of the boxing ring mounts. "you wanna meet up with the boys again today, or do you wanna head home?"

luke groaned, wiping the sweat off of his face. as much as he loved hanging out with the boys, he found it being a chore, rather than a hobby—especially after a training session. but he knew ashton wasn't really giving him a choice, even if he asked for his opinion.

with a harsh, "whatever," luke freshened up in the locker room, and left the forest with his peppy best friend beside him.

the four boys had managed to enter john's in one piece—chaotically, but in one piece.

michael was the one to storm into the diner first, mouth full of french fries from his mcdonald's order he got on the way. "yo, john! your favorite customer is here!" he shouted, stumbling his way to their unofficially official booth.

as they all got seated, john walked up to their booth with a smile. "afternoon, boys. how was your day today?"

"it's been great so far," michael answered on behalf of the four. "got up early, ate some pancakes, ate some mcdonald's, and now i'm here," he smiled.

just one look at the fake redhead and you could immediately tell that he was eager to place his usual order of a bacon burger and waffle fries—based on his leg shaking up and down rapidly and his inability to contain his excited grin.

no matter how often they visited john's, they would always enter with the same feeling of happiness they felt the very first time they stepped foot into the restaurant. it was a time machine for the four boys, and it made them feel like they were sixteen and wild.

"that's great, michael," the owner sighed satisfied. "i'm guessing you guys have the same order as always?"

"for us, yes," ashton perked up, leaning his head on his palm. "but can you add an extra chocolate milk and fries, please?"

chocolate milkshake and fries? luke questioned the twenty-two year old in his head. who else is coming?

and then it hit him.

but he wanted his assumptions to be confirmed by the man who brought it up initially. "are we expecting anyone?" he asked. ashton nodded his head, and luke felt himself wanting to leave before they even got there.

please don't be jet, please don't be jet, please, please don't let it be jet—

"hello boys."

luke inhaled deeply, letting out a sigh. shit.

•••

[ hi everyone !! this is my first author's note for this book, and i wanted to greet all of you a happy holiday season :) i'm going to have a double update for you guys today as a gift—so look out for the next update later on in the day ;) enjoy your holiday !! ALSO THANK U SO MUCH FOR OVER A HUNDRED READS ON MY FIRST BOOK !! LOVE U GUYS <3 ]