the third chapter.

03

" HER "

luke hemmings wasn't one to befriend many.

so when his phone buzzed several times while the three boys sat next to him on the couch, he couldn't be any more annoyed.

|||

unknown: hey luke

unknown: c'mon luke, talk to me

unknown: hello ???

luke: who is this.

unknown: u don't remember me??

luke: tf? that's why i asked.

unknown: no need to give me the cold shoulder, lukey

|||

lukey, he thought to himself. who the fuck still calls me "lukey"?

that's when anna came rushing into his mind after three years of constantly forcing her to the back.

anna holden, luke's ex-girlfriend from high school—back when luke was still into relationships. they dated from freshman to senior year, until anna ripped his heart out of his chest and broke it into two.

he was heartbroken, to say the least. she was his first love, first girlfriend, first everything. and then one day, she told him the worst thing you could hear from someone you love.

"i'm better off without you."

from that moment on, luke cut most of his friends off, her friends that became his. it was better that way, really—he didn't want to be reminded of the person that told him he wasn't worth it.

he was ripped away from his thoughts by a voice calling out to him.

"yo, luke, who're you texting that's more important than us?" michael asked, munching on some popcorn.

"the question you should be asking is," calum sighed sarcastically. "who would even want to text luke in the first place?"

ashton butted in. "for real, man. have you seen the way you text? you're fucking drier than california."

luke shot them a glare. "why would i waste time putting effort into texts? i know you're just gonna show up to my place no matter what i say."

"that's because we want more spice from you," michael nodded his head towards the blond. "so whose dumbass texted you?"

"no one important," he replied.

and luke was telling the truth—anna was no longer someone important to him. he didn't want to here from her ever again, and as petty as that is, luke meant it. she hurt him enough to make him not box for days, and luke never went more than a day without fighting or training. he wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of taking time away from his life.

not anymore.

but his heart stopped when his phone vibrated once more.

|||

unknown: i'm coming to your fight tonight

|||

"luke?" ashton asked, noticing luke's pale face. "bro, are you good?"

the boy didn't say anything in response, only handing his phone to his concerned friend.

there was a moment of silence between the other three—only the shuffling of the boys' hands and luke's phone was heard.

"what the fuck," michael whispered, shock evident in his voice.

"she can't come," calum said sternly, handing back luke's phone. "i'm not letting her into the club. i don't give two shits what other people have to say."

luke let out a deep breath, but it wasn't laced with anxiety, nor fear. it was pure fury.

"let her watch. she'll see how better i'm off without her."

•••