004

The marine rushed to his feet and dashed around the corner they had just came from as there stood admiral Aokiji who was looking down on the unable woman who just sighed and groaned.

"Well isn't this a sight, vice admiral." The man only had a blank expression as he leaned down to place his arms under the back and legs of his subordinate, pulling her up into his arms so he could handle her. A smile was on her face - he had only met her once in person and knew that something that confident yet sinister should have never appeared on her usually timid features. They do say that being drunk reveals your true nature. But was that how she was? But to her, the world spun and she felt hot all over, like she had been left in an onsen for too long.

"Man, you're cold like an ice block and right now I'm burning as hell." With no pun intended, Aokiji froze in his place as (y/n) snuggled closer into his chest which he didn't know how to react to.

"Well tomorrow morning you better get off to the medical department to get you checked out." His words came out bluntly. He was usually light or lazy but it was if he was trying to ignore the way she clung to his chest.

It wasn't long before the two had arrived outside of her office, her name neatly engraved onto the door in bold. Looking around he realised that there was no way to get into the room.

"Keys?" He only asked her a simple question yet she couldn't control her giggles at this point as she lounged about in his arms. Taking it upon himself to look for them himself, Aokiji reached down into her coat's pocket and fumbled about - trying to find the damn things. But once he did, he turned them in the lock and opened the door with his foot: placing the vice admiral down on her desk's chair.

He was surprised at how messy the place was. Considering it was stereotypical that woman in the headquarters tended to be far neater, unlike (y/n) whose paperwork was strewn about the floor along with assortments of sweet rappers and half-eaten pumpkin pies. But what really struck him was the sleeping den den mushi on top of an enveloped letter - sealed with a pink wax stamp that looked like it was made out of candy. The initial read C.P. The sender must have been someone outside of work since no one he knew had those initials and that seal. Without his mind telling him to do so, Aokiji reached out towards the letter in hopes of curiousity. But it was as his wrist was caught in between dainty fingers, stained with small blotches of ink from blueprinting, that he looked at (y/n).

"Admiral, it's rude to go through someone else's letters." The grin she displayed was one that made her eyes glow with an almost ominous glare in the dim light provided by a tiny desk lamp.

"Who sent that? I don't recognise the stamp." His calm words only made (y/n) laugh as she looked at him dead while pulling her letter out and shoving it in a pocket with a sigh.

"Curiosity killed the cat, Aokiji-san." The unnerving malice with how she spoke made him leaned towards the theory that her whole casual exterior was just some sort of daily act, at least to him and the others she has met in headquarters. Questions brewed in his mind but he wondered if saying anything now was a good idea, considering the importance of what might come of it.

"Just who are you, vice admiral?"

The room was silent, only the quick hum of (y/n) acknowledging his question after being distracted by her own drunken thoughts broke the stillness. The admiral towered over the woman as she sat looking up at him with a blush on her cheeks from the alcohol.

"Wouldn't you like to know, admiral. You see," she stood up to face him "I am merely a vice admiral who has spent the previous ten years in the navy and who does her job." Although her answer was questionable, he couldn't deny that the smile on her face made him wonder into thought. Who loved that smile? Who did she usually smile for? Did she have some sort of love life?

"I see. Do you have a family? Some sort of lover?" Even if he told himself to stop speaking his mind, he wanted to know what made this usually shy and quiet woman who didn't project herself overly, so secretive. But she only laughed.

"Family? I'm not required to tell you of them. Lover? I can only dream." It was a strange answer and it made the tanned man wonder further.

"So you're telling me you do have a family and that your marine data about not having an applicable past is false?"

"No one needs to know who my family are." Her answer came to shock him and for his eyes to go wide momentarily. The way she stared at him just screamed bad intent and like she didn't want to carry on the conversation. All too quickly she turned to a smile once more as she tilted her head.

"I must say Admiral, I can't help but think you look rather handsome from up close." He yawned and then raised an eyebrow at her all-too-fast change.

"I don't think that's appropriate for the workplace." He tested her by smiling down with his words.

"Oh yeah because standing half a foot away from each other in my personal office AND just having picked me up and carried me back is so professional." Seemed her drunk self ended up being a cheeky one.

Sighing and scratching the back of his neck, Aokiji turned towards the door and heard (y/n) make a confused hum in his wake. He placed his hand on the handle and the other in his trouser pocket.

"You need to get sleep. You're too drunk to even think right now and I'm not about to take more responsibility than I have to. Goodnight, vice admiral."

"It's (y/n). Just (y/n)."

Giving a small wave, Aokiji left her office and left her in silence.

"And what do you call this time?"

In the massive dining halls down in the bottom of headquarters, the large tables were almost completely full of different marines - lower and higher - eating away at their early-morning breakfast before they had to endure that days work. And rushing over to the table full of some of the vice admiral and other higher ranks was (y/n), her coat bobbing on her shoulders as she went.

"Sorry, got lost in time." Giving an awkward smile and a scratch of the cheek with a chuckle, (y/n) placed herself down in a seat next to her old superior: someone she hadn't yet talked to with the name of vice admiral Bastille on her other side.

"You're lucky I left you a place, it is completely full here today considering no one is out and everyone in Headquarters is in." The man was digging into what looked like a full english-style breakfast and spared no glance at the woman as he ate.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. By the way," he paused for a moment and looked to the side at (y/n) who just sipped a small cup of coffee and reiterated the glance "I heard from some colleagues that you got yourself too drunk to manage yourself yesterday and that someone had to escort you to your office."

The tips of her ears began to burn red as she set ablaze with embarrassment.

'Of course I remember. How could I not when I got so close to exposing myself.'

"Y-yeah. Luckily for me some good sleep and a small lie in made me as good as new." As everyone around her began to finish and leave to do their various duties, she ended up being there with just her old department supervisor and a few others when her transponder snail began to ring.

Looking down to her pocket to reach in and grab it, the man also stopped and gave her a confused look to which she ignored and answered the call.

"Gacha."

"Vice Admiral I'm going to need you to come to my office." And with a fitting yawn, she heard admiral Aokiji. Before she knew it, she was once again outside his office door and hearing his mutter of "come in".

~~~

17.12.2020

Author's Notes

Hey!

I don't have much to say but all I'm going to say is...

AWOOGA.

- TransponderSnail