five

chapter five ~ the one with baby trainingHeather's POV

Heather's POV

Hanging out in Monica and Chandler's apartment brought back so many memories, reminding me of the first time that I had come here and felt kind of out of place among the friends. That was six years ago and was when I was still dating Carl, when I had first moved to the city and had no idea what my life would look like. I would never have guessed that this was how it would turn out. Never, in a million years, did I think that I would be a Real Estate Agent, engaged to my brothers' best friend and planning the rest of my life with him; I didn't even know that I would still be in New York or in touch with my family and now my life seemed perfect. I was finally happy and that made me smile as I made myself comfortable on Joey's lap; we were on the armchair and I was tucked under his arm, leaning my head against his chest as we all relaxed together.

Monica and Chandler were working just as well as me and Joey, which was good because the last thing I needed was to handle a massive break up; especially when we were this close to being married. We hadn't chosen a date yet, but we knew that we didn't want to wait forever because we wanted everyone important to be there but we also didn't want to rush anything. So, if our friends could refrain themselves from arguing with each other or breaking up anytime soon, then this would really help us out. Phoebe was sat on the floor, seeming to like that spot rather than any of the chairs as she claimed that she could see everyone better from that place which kind of scared me because I wondered just how much she could see about us. Phoebe was very unpredictable but even more so, Ross and Rachel were unpredictable, especially as they stormed into the apartment, shouting at each other.

"I cannot believe that you didn't tell me, we are still married!" Rachel yelled as she dropped her belongings onto the table.

Ross followed her inside and shut the door behind them. "Look, I was going to tell you."

"When? After the birth of our first secret child?" She turned to us so that she could tell us what had happened. "Ross didn't get the annulment. We are still married."

Everyone gasped, Chandler spoke first, blinking rapidly. "What?"

"Oh my God!" Phoebe covered her mouth with her hands.

Monica glared at her brother. "Ross?"

He sighed, knowing that he didn't make the best decision. "Okay, maybe it wasn't my best decision but I just couldn't face another failed marriage."

Chandler had to force himself not to laugh at the situation. "Let me just jump in and ask, at what point did you think this was a successful marriage?"

"Rach, come on." He tried appealing to Rachel. "If you think about it, it's actually kind of funny." Rachel glared at him as he recoiled. "Maybe it's best not to think about it."

"This is inexcusable." Phoebe broke the silence. "I am shocked to my very core."

"Phoebe, I told her you already knew."

Everyone turned to face her as she shouted. "Another lie, you have a sickness!"

"Ross, just for my own peace of mind, you're not married to any more of us, are you?"

~•~

Coming over to Monica and chandler's apartment, I wasn't sure what I would find; maybe I would walk in on Ross and Rachel fighting about their marriage once again or maybe I would find Joey stealing food from our neighbours again. What I didn't think I would see were three of my friends, holding three little toddlers and making my heart burst with the level of adorableness that was in that room. "Oh, the babies are here!" I squealed, making my way over to Monica, who was holding one of the babies and cooed, making the baby laugh. She instantly knew that I wanted to hold the chubby baby and handed it to me, I had no idea which one I had but I didn't care because I was so caught up in making them laugh that I almost didn't hear Monica talking to me.

"Do you want to stay and help?" She offered, rubbing her hands on her pants as she must have had drool or something covering them. "It might be useful baby training for you."

I blinked at her, confused at what she was saying. "Baby training?"

"Yeah, for when you and Joey have a baby." Phoebe added, changing the diaper of the baby that she was looking after.

"They're not having a baby anytime soon, are you?" Chandler saw my hesitation and raised an eyebrow at me, warning me. "Are you?"

"We've been talking about it but we definitely want to be married first." I answered, handing the giggling baby back to Monica so that I could see the others, because it wasn't fair to have a favourite. "And take our time, but baby training could be fun."

"Phoebe, how's it going?" Monica questioned.

"I'm doing okay. I think it's going well. You think they're having fun? Am I talking too fast?"

I laughed, taking a seat next to my brother at the table. "No, you sound exactly like Monica."

"It's going great." She reiterated, rocking her baby back and forth before pointing to my brother. "Look at Chandler with little baby girl Chandler."

"Little baby girl Chandler? Where have I heard that before? Oh right, Coach Rubin." He tries to get baby Chandler to take the bottle but then smells something bad in the air. "You know what? When you're done over there, we've got a kind of situation over here too."

"No, we are all responsible for our own babies."

"See, that's where I think that you're wrong." He replied to Phoebe, obviously believing that he knew exactly how to care for the triplets and everyone else was wrong. Which I didn't believe, out of everyone, he was the most inexperienced with babies. "We should be playing a zone defence because it's not fair that Heather has no baby."

I raised my eyebrow this time and warned him. "May I remind you how many times I changed Ben for you?" But I couldn't refuse to hold baby Chandler for a little bit, even if she did smell bad. I couldn't help but pretend that this was my own baby, and that made me feel all excited, even though Joey and I wanted to take things slow and get married first. The maternal part of me was screaming for a baby; however, I didn't want to scare Joey off with my broodiness, so I needed to calm down for a while.

Chandler shrugged. "I just think that things will go a lot smoother if we each have our own zone."

a/n: i almost forgot to update again today 😳 i've been so busy with uni assignments & my work announced that we were working from home again next week instead of opening which is great 🥴 -lizzie ⭐️

date published: 14/01/21