fourteen

chapter sixty ~ the one with mozzarella Joey's POV

Joey's POV

Valentine's Day came quicker than anyone was expecting and usually, Joey would stray as far away from the holiday as possible; thinking that it was just a date to spend a lot of money on something that wouldn't be remembered. That was his usual attitude as he hated spending money on anything other than food for the holiday, which was why the couple usually went for dinner on the occasion, instead of buying each other presents. However, this year was different and Joey was ready to spend the day of love with his wife instead of changing diapers and running around after his son. He had already checked that Heather was free that night as she wasn't needed in the office and had made plans for the couple to finally spend a night together, without their baby around to spoil the mood or distract them from each other.

They were heading down the street to Central Perk as they were hoping to grab some coffee and catch up on things before carrying on their usual routine. Today neither of them was working but Heather had no plans for the holiday as her mind was focused completely on their son and not even considering that her husband would want to celebrate the holiday that he usually can't stand. Heather was pushing the buggy and making sure that they weren't getting in the way of any passers-by; Matteo was awake but was distracted with the teddy that he had been gifted for Christmas, chewing on the ear as his eyes scanned the streets in front of him. Joey was walking beside them, hoping that his wife would talk about plans for Valentine's Day but when she didn't make any move to talk, he took it upon himself to bring up the subject; feeling slightly nervous for one of the first times in his life. "So, are you busy later?"

Heather turned to look beside her, wondering what her husband was talking about and tilted her head. "What do you mean?"

"It's Valentine's Day. I was thinking we could go out to dinner, take a romantic walk through the city and then head back home to, you know, get it on?"

"Oh, Joe, that sounds amazing but we can't do that." She shook her head, turning back to look at the way that they were walking, seeing that Central Perk was coming into view.

"What?" His eyes widened and he wondered what she could be talking about. "Why not?"

"We have Matteo now; we can't just leave him somewhere and we can't bring him with us. Maybe this year we should just skip that stuff and stay home?"

"But I really thought-"

"Oh, that dog is so cute!" Heather cooed seeing someone walk past them and completely ignoring the fact that her husband was trying to organise a romantic evening for them. He was confused as to why she was ignoring his ideas and more focused on a cute dog. "Don't you think?"

"Sure, the dog is kind of cute, but maybe there's someone cuter?"

"Obviously..." She trailed off before cooing down at their son, who was still trying to stuff the ear of the teddy into his mouth. "Matteo's the cutest little baby in the whole world!"