eighteen

chapter sixty four ~ the one with a baby showerHeather's POV

Heather's POV

It wouldn't be long before Rachel and Ross would welcome their daughter into the world and everyone was shocked at how quickly the pregnancy seemed to go as it only felt like yesterday that we found out she was pregnant. To celebrate the upcoming birth of the baby, Monica and Phoebe had organised a baby shower which I had agreed to attend, but couldn't help with the planning because I had other things to manage at the moment. Luckily, the men were going to stay in our apartment for the afternoon, trialling a new TV show that Joey was auditioning for and that meant that they could babysit Matteo at the same time. Giving me a few hours away from motherhood and talking to random women about babies, waiting for the day that Rachel would also become a mother. A part of me was worried to leave Matteo with his father and uncles because who knows what they get up to with no one else around but the other part of me was reminded that I hardly get any free time and needed to use this opportunity to enjoy myself.

I left the present that Joey and I had bought for Rachel on the coffee table, amongst the other presents that the guests had brought and I was surprised at how many people had turned up. Both of Rachel's sisters were unable to attend the baby shower and there had been a mishap with the invite for Rachel's mom, so things hadn't gone to plan. Thankfully, I couldn't be blamed for any of the planning mistakes because I hadn't been involved and could take the afternoon to relax away from duties of motherhood. Phoebe and Monica were slightly frazzled by the event, Monica was always on edge with events like these and Phoebe just hated the idea of small talk with every stranger in the room. I understood what she meant, also hating small talk but excited to be able to show off my own stories of motherhood now that I had a child to shove down people's throats; it had been annoying when strangers did it to me but now, I was able to do it back to them and it was more fun than I thought. "Oh, I told the stripper to be here at 5." Phoebe explained as they folded napkins at the kitchen table. "That's good, right?"

"You ordered a stripper for the shower?" Monica gasped, shocked at the party games that Phoebe had decided on but I was loving the idea, it was something that had probably never been done before. "That is totally inappropriate."

"Why? He's going to be dressed as a baby."

I sipped on my punch with a smirk on my face, because this was definitely going to be better than whatever they were doing across the hall. "Oh my God, I'm so glad that I came."

The door opened and Rachel's mom stepped into the apartment, her eyes darting around as if she was trying to find something to judge as soon as she walked through the door. "Hi, Mrs Green. I'm so glad you could make it."

"Yes, thank you so much." Monica added, fiddling with her hands as she immediately felt awkward under the gaze of Sandra Green. "And again, we're so sorry. We could not feel worse about it."

"Try." She hands her coat to Monica before swiftly making her way past us, over to where Rachel was talking to some of her friends from work. She hadn't even noticed me but I wasn't bothered because I was happy enough with my glass of punch, watching the showdown between the women. "Oh, there's my little girl!"