sixteen

chapter sixty two ~ the one with monica's speechHeather's POV

Heather's POV

Celebrating thirty-five years of marriage was a big achievement as Joey and I had only been married two years and it felt like much longer, but I was happy for Jack and Judy; who had made it past every hurdle and were still happily married. A part of me hoped that Joey and I would still be married in thirty-five years, with the same experiences as this couple but the other part of me hoped that we would still be married, just with different experiences. One of the main ones being that I didn't want my children to practically hate me most of the year, and I wanted us to spend more than just the holidays together. In our future, I wanted our family to be big and chaotic and always spending time together just like we were now. However, Joey and I were still going to attend the big anniversary dinner with presents that we had bought together and be there to support our friends; as it wasn't easy spending time with your parents.

Instead of bringing Matteo to the evening event, Melissa and Nick had offered to babysit because as much as Melissa wanted to attend the dinner; we reminded her that she had never even met Jack and Judy, so it wouldn't make any sense for her to attend. Hesitantly, she realised that coming would be ridiculous and was happy enough to take Matteo off our hands for a few hours. However, now that they had babysat our child so many times, I was dreading the time that we'd have to take care of Charlotte because I wasn't sure if we could handle two babies at once. It was daunting and the fact that they were both walking around made things more difficult; they weren't going to be babies for much longer and were almost toddlers. I definitely wouldn't be able to handle two toddlers running around the apartment, and I was sure that Mozzarella wouldn't love the idea either as Matteo pulling on his tail was enough torture.

"Hi!" I waved to everyone as Joey and I stepped into Monica and Chandler's apartment, where we were all meeting before heading to the dinner.

We hadn't been out like this in a long time and had both dressed up for the occasion. Joey was wearing a black dress shirt that he tucked into his black pants, and refused to button up too high because he wanted some of his chest to be on show; thinking that it made him look sexier and I couldn't disagree with him there. I was wearing a dress that I had bought before finding out I was pregnant, and hadn't had a chance to wear it before but I felt much happier than normal when I put it on and realised that I could fit into it. The black cocktail dress was something that I had been dreaming about wearing during my days of stretchy pants and tank tops; finally, I was feeling like myself again instead of just a portable bottle for our son. Joey was making me feel beautiful as he whispered compliments into my ear and kept his spare hand firmly around my waist, ensuring that everyone would know that we were together, as if the rings on our fingers weren't enough.

"Aw, Joey, you got a present for my parents?" Monica awed as we closed the door behind us and moved to the table where the others had gathered around. "That's so sweet."