Chapter fifteen

The dinner table was quiet tonight. I wasn't in the best mood due to my boss telling me to get my act together, and Jasper unexpectedly siding with Charlotte and Tristian didn't exactly make me feel too thrilled either. "Pass me an egg roll, please." Charlotte hollered across the table to me. I handed her the whole bag before returning back to my plate. "I'll have to say," Tristian chimed in, "Chinese food is my favorite. Thank you." I smirked as I scooped a spoonful of shrimp fried rice. Jasper noticed I wasn't sparking up any conversation, so he took the initiative. "Learn anything new at school today?" "Condoms are free in the guidance office," Tristian replied. Jasper raised his eyebrows and focused on his plate in front of him. It was quiet again. I sat up and took in a deep breath, "I don't think I ever got the chance to ask you how your work day was." Jasper's mild expression said it all. "It was alright, I operated on a few hearts today. Nothing new." Tristian laughed, "you say it so casually, Jasper. That's a big deal, what you're doing." "Oh, man, it's ridiculous sometimes, but you get used to it," he expressed.

Charlotte looked up at me from across the table and started a new conversation. "So, after dinner is Mom getting me? Or are you driving me home? " I set my fork down and looked over at Jasper, who shrugged in response. "Have you talked to Mom or Dad yet?" I asked. "Yeah, they both have been telling me either I come home or I'm on the streets." "They're only threatening to kick you out because they think that'll scare you enough into staying with them." Charlotte had a puzzled look on her face. "What do they even mean with the whole 'put me on the streets' idea anyway? Both me and Oliver? Are they out of their mind?" She asked defensively. Tristian snarled, "Charlotte, they never had any real plans to do that. They just want you home like Allison said." She squinted her eyes. "Manipulative.. another reason I don't want to live with them." "What if you and Ollie moved in with Tristian?" I suggested as I mixed my rice with sweet and sour chicken. Tristian laughed, "my mother stresses over bills every day. You really think she wants more?" Charlotte didn't say a word, and I just realized her feelings were hurt. "It's not that we wouldn't loving have you here," I added. "It's just a bit much to think about." Oliver yawned, and it was clear he was getting sleepy. I looked over at the clock that read 8:15 pm. "It's almost getting past your bed time, isn't it Ollie?" Tristian cooed.  Oliver rubbed his eyes. I rubbed my face in my hands, "It's already past eight pm and I have yet to shower and do laundry," I rubbed my eyes. "Call Mom off the house phone and tell you're ready to get picked up Char, I'm exhausted. Same with you.. Tristian." Charlotte looked down at her half eaten plate and stirred the rice around with her fork, not saying a word. Though she was quiet, there was a lot that I could feel that didn't need to be said.

All of the sudden, my phone started buzzing. It was Mom. I tossed Charlotte my cell phone, and after a few moments later she just handed the phone back to me. "She wants to talk to you," she shrugged. I stepped away from the dinner table and walked outside to the back patio to keep this conversation private. "Hello?" "Yeah, hi, it's your mother." She spoke over the phone. "I know, Mom. I have Caller ID." I sat on the bench outside and looked up at the stars glistening in the sky above me. "Oh that's right!" She laughed. "How are you doing?" "fine," I sighed. "Look, Mom, I don't have the energy to drive her back home tonight, you're coming to get her right?" There was a brief pause. She took in a deep breath and exhaled, "This is all very tough on me. I can't pick her up tonight and take her back home with me because my car broke down this afternoon on my way home from work. I had to get it towed. Dad's truck hasn't been running for quite some time. I'm in a rut here." I took in a deep breath. "Allison sweetheart, I didn't want to do this, but your father and I discussed Charlotte and Oliver moving in with you. Maybe it'd do the two of them some good." I scoffed, "Jasper thinks the same thing. What's so good about it, Mom? That you two get the house to yourselves?" "Allison, I'm not pushing anything on to you. I think you've helped them out tremendously as it is." The grief in her voice tore at my heart strings. "I just think she can really get back on her feet living with you. Your father's always out gambling or drinking, so he's never around. And I've been trying to make up for his absence but I-" for the first time in my life I could hear her sobbing over the phone. I've seen my mother frustrated, but I've never heard her cry before until tonight. "I'm sorry," her voice broke. "I just don't know what to do anymore." I anxiously tucked my thumb into my hand and thought about the right thing to say to that. "I mean, I can't handle it sometimes. You know how Dad is as it is, and with Charlotte and Oliver here and another one, I feel like my house isn't even my house! I feel like a maid, Allison. I'm fifty two years old! I have no desire to live life like this."