☆four☆

As the sun set, excitement around the Glade grew. Apparently, it was a tradition to throw a bonfire party every month in honor of the new Greenie.

Once everything had been prepared, Alby led the Gladers in throwing their torches in the huge collection of logs, igniting in flames that brightened up the Glade.

"Yeah! Light it up boys!" He exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air in a celebratory way. The festivities began, and the boys had spread out. Some where drinking, letting loose after a long harrowing day. Others had formed a circle and were cheering for their friends as they wrestled in the middle.

But the guest of honor herself, had settled in on a log next to Newt and Thomas. They were making light conversation, and although Mae was tired and overwhelmed, she put on a smile and listened in.

"Hey Greenie, try some of this." Thomas handed her a glass of amber colored liquid, and she took it wearily.

"What is it?" She swirled the drink around in her cup, inspecting it. Newt grinned and took a swig from his own glass, leaning closer to the questioning girl.

"Gally's secret recipe. Don't know what's in it, but it'll ease you up. Have some," He suggested. Mae looked at her new friends one last time before tilted her head back and forcing the drink down her throat. She hissed as it burned her tongue, creating a strong but flavorful aftertaste.

Thomas smirked and nudged her with his elbow, obviously impressed.

"Wow. Who the hell is Gally? Because that is a hefty drink," A smile grew on Mae's lips as she scanned the sea of Gladers, analyzing each individual.

"Well you see that guy there," Newt pointed to a very tall boy with broad shoulders and impeccable eyebrows, who was currently face to face with another Glader in the wrestling circle.  "That's Gally."  He smirked, knowing he had the match in the bag. With one swift movement, he shoved the smaller boy's shoulders and sent him tumbling into the crowd of boys.

"Makes sense," Mae said, turning her attention back to Newt and Thomas. Taking another sip of her drink, she leaned farther back on the log and sighed contently. A passing figure caught her attention as he strutted forward toward the circle.

He stood there for a few moments as he watched, arms crossed, eyebrows furrowed. It was Minho, the runner she had met before who hadn't really shown her much of a warm welcome. Her gaze followed him as he said something to the boy next to him and rolled his eyes.

"Hey Newt?" She started.  "Is Minho always like that?" She whispered to him. Newt chuckled a little, shrugging and stretching his arm up to the sky to stretch.

"He's cranky today. Life as a runner is hard. I wouldn't blame him," He explained, standing up and placing his cup on the ground. Thomas did the same, offering a hand to Mae and helping her up.

"Let's show little miss greenie the real main event, shall we?" Newt asked his friend, who grinned in response. They led her toward the group of boys who were rallying around the makeshift ring by the fire. The crowd let out a variation of different reactions, 'ooo'ing when someone got a mouthful of dirt, whooping  when someone got back up again, and clapping when a winner was declared.

Gally had just finished beating yet another competitor, and was reveling in his victory when Alby paused the events and walked into the center of the circle. Everyone looked at him in curiosity as he motioned for them to quiet down.

"I'd like to make a toast tonight," He smiled, his eyes wide with expression, reflecting the fire as it burned bright. "To our brand new Greenie, the first ever girl to grace us with her presence," Mae felt her cheeks heat up and she lowered her gaze to the ground. There were some hushed whispers and sideways glances were sent in her direction as Alby continued.

"Who has put on such a brave face ever since she's been here. To Mae!" He raised his glass in the air, and the whole of the Gladers followed suit, drinking to a chorus of cheering.

The girl felt quite a few slaps on her back, and she was growing very overwhelmed from all of the attention. She smiled a bit, grateful that the Gladers had been so welcoming. It must've been hard for them to coexist with the opposite gender when they'd never been in contact with someone like herself.

Mae heard someone lean in closer and whisper in her ear, sending shivers down her spine.

"Welcome home, Greenie."