☆twelve☆

Mae tried desperately to sneak into the Gathering, but they had told her it was strictly for Keepers only.

So she sat in the grass next to Chuck, making small talk while they waited anxiously for the outcome of Thomas's little expedition.

"Do you ever miss your family?" Chuck asked out of no where, startling her. She glanced at him and placed her hands in her lap, trying to think of how to answer.

"You know, like even if you don't remember them." Mae nodded slowly, feeling a twinge of guilt. She was lucky to have some of her memories, since most of the boys had no idea who they were before the maze.

"Well Chuck, we're going to get out of here. We'll find your family," She promised with a shaky smile.

"You sound like Thomas." He sighed. Mae gave him an unreadable look, tilting her head slightly.

"Do I?"

"Yeah. I wanted him to take this to my family," He held up a small wooden figure, that he had been working for quite a while. "But he said I'd give it to them myself." Mae took the figure, handling it delicately and examined it, admiring Chuck's intricate work. She handed it back to him, and squeezed his hand gently.

"You will. I promise," The girl swore. She wanted so much to fulfil his wish. In the short time she had grown to know him, she grew more and more found of him. He was so brave, smiling despite being thrown in a terrifying maze with strangers. She hoped that one day, he could have a somewhat normal life.

"Greenie!" Minho's voice halted the emotional moment Mae and Chuck had been sharing. She whipped her head around to see him and Thomas walking toward them, and Thomas had a cheeky grin on his face.

"When are you going to stop calling me that? There's a new greenie." She whined, although her voice had a playful tone to it. Minho ignored her, and instead mockingly shoved Thomas forward.

"Guess who's a runner?" The Keeper smirked.

Mae got to her feet quickly, followed by Chuck. Her face lit up and she looked between the two boys in front of her.

"Really?" She exclaimed.

"No way!" Chuck gushed, his chubby cheeks had a honey glow to them as he smiled brightly.

"Yeah." Thomas said, not being able to contain his excitement. Mae was glad to see him so happy. She hoped that this promotion would bring his confidence up, because she knew he had been growing anxious ever since Teresa's arrival.

"That's- Great! Can't believe you convinced Gally. He didn't seem too happy with you," The girl said skeptically.

"They had some help." Mae's eyes darted to the source of the voice, Newt. He was walking over to them slowly, his face graced by an adorably crooked smile.

"However, Tommy here did break the rules, also got a night in the Slammer."

"Well, as long as I'm a Runner." Thomas shrugged.

The group stood there for a second, taking in the positive energy they needed. It was fueling the drive for an escape, which was all they were looking forward to.

"Well, what are you shanks waitin' for? Go show Tommy the Map room." Newt bumped Minho with his elbow, gesturing to the forest where Thomas had brought Mae not more than a few hours ago. Minho nodded, walking off toward the said path.

"Bye, Thomas." Mae waved, and he gave her one last hopeful smile before following his new Keeper. She turned back at the remaining two, who stared at her in anticipation.