☆one☆

Mae startled awake to the sound of a whirring machine and a splitting headache. Frightened by her surroundings, she latched on to the first thing she could find- the inside of the huge metal box she was in. Her sudden panic made it hard for her to breathe and she tried to understand where she was. Not only that, but WHO was she?

The steady sound of the cage tottering as it moved upward settled into the background of her racing thoughts. Stay calm. Clues-look for clues.

The anxious girl glanced hurriedly around her for any tiny detail that might tell her where she was. The unknown scared her. It was like someone had reached into her head and individually scraped every single one of her memories clean, and it was the most unsettling feeling in the world. With all this thinking she had been doing, her eyes had grown tired and weary. She was in no position to be questioning her existence, not when she felt like shit.

She fell into an uneasy sleep, far off voices echoing from the back of her mind, taunting her with words she didn't understand.

WICKED IS GOOD.

After an unidentified amount of time, the giant metal cage slowed to a stop. Large metal doors opened at the top and sunlight poured in. This didn't phase the girl, as she was in too deep of a sleep to acknowledge the change of scenery.

Waiting in anticipation, there was a group of teenage boys standing over the doors that revealed the cage. Or as the Gladers referred to it, The Box. Mae lay motionless, in the middle of the empty box.

A strapping young blonde boy held the others back and stepped down into the box, his eyes widening in realization of what awaited.

"So? What's he look like?"   "Tall?"  "We could use another builder, is he muscular?"

The boy turned and addressed the group of impatient teenagers, stepping back to reveal the brunette who lay in all her glory.

"It's a girl," He declared. Whispers and shouts wrung out and some boys shot each other excited looks. Some even called 'dibs' on the poor girl.

"Quiet." A harsh voice sounded louder than the rest and most of the boys comments subsided, except for a few hushed whispers. The blonde boy took a closer look at the girl and studied her face. Fear brewed in his mind as he noticed she hadn't moved. She couldn't be dead, he thought. They don't send dead greenies up here.

"She hasn't moved!" A stout boy with curly brown hair pointed out which caused an eruption of panic.

"Silence!" The eldest boy quieted the others and gestured to the blonde and another boy to help her out of the box.

Safe in these unknown boys arms, Mae stirred for just a moment, flickering her eyes and seeing her surroundings. They were standing in a big field enclosed by huge stone walls. Some building structures and a corner filled with trees made up of some of the space, but there was quite a lot of grass.

Overwhelmed by the sudden change, she let out one small whisper before her eyes flew shut and she lost consciousness. The same words that were etched into her mind, that had been echoing through her brain since she had woken in the Box. 

"Wicked is good."