☆thirty☆

Mae followed the man, who by then had told her his name, Dr. Morgan, all the way until they came to a similar yet smaller room to the one she'd been confined to before. It was more open, without a white curtain in sight to her pleasant surprise. There was another half of the room, but there was a wall separating the two halves, with a considerably large window the only proof that the other half existed.

Just in front of the window, there were two empty hospital cots, very similar to the ones she had spent hours in just a few minutes before. And in front of the cots, just beside the door, there were several computers displaying statistics and other foreign symbols Mae didn't quite understand. Dr. Morgan typed something into the keyboard quickly, before nodding to the guards.

The two guards grabbed Mae by each of her arms, and she slightly winced in pain, because she had basically forgotten that she'd injured one of them fighting the Grievers. With the guards constricting both of her arms, Mae felt her body tense up.

She knew whatever they were about to do would be against her wishes, but there was nothing she could do to prevent it.

"Your sister will be here shortly. Please do cooperate." Dr. Morgan said curtly. As not to injure her self further, Mae moved along with the guards toward the first cot, muttering under her breath how she 'could walk just fin' on her own.

They finally released her arms, allowing her to climb into the bed on her own. Then, without a word, they left the room. A woman entered, she had caramel skin and curly hair, and wore a white lab coat just like the others. She didn't have a strange smile like the nurse, but she wasn't frowning either. She held her clipboard firmly in her right hand, and a pen was tucked behind her ear.

"Good afternoon," She spoke, while sliding the chair out from under the desk where the computers were. Mae nodded, barely even acknowledging her, resenting the people holding her here too much to be kind.

"We're going to fix up that arm, and put you on some pain meds." The new woman stated, typing into the keyboard.

"Are you going to knock me out again? I don't even need pain meds." Mae grumbled, her tone half snarky, the other half anxious. The woman ignored her, glancing upwards at the screens hurriedly.

Suddenly, the door to the room clicked open. Dr. Morgan was behind it, followed by Teresa. Mae felt a weight lift off her shoulders when she saw that her sister was safe. She looked tired and overwhelmed, but she was alright. She nodded in acknowledgement to the other girl as Dr. Morgan led her to the spare bed.

The woman was still looking at the screen, her eyes narrowed as her gaze followed different patterns she was analyzing. Dr. Morgan glanced out of the open door, his face contorted with an odd expression that was hard to read. He leaned in toward the other doctor and whispered something in her ear, prompting her to stand from her seat.

"We'll be back shortly. Please relax and sit still." He stated, before ushering the woman out of the room and shutting the door with a firm thud.

The room was silent for another moment. Mae debated whether to say anything to Teresa- whether to ask her what they'd done to her, or to ask her what their game plan was. But she couldn't bring herself to say really anything at that point. Instead, she just lay under the thin white sheets, the urge to slip back into sleep penetrating her thoughts.

It was a long time before anything happened.

Doctors slipped in and out, but they did nothing but monitor their machinery, type into the computers and remain quiet. That was, until someone very unexpected burst through that door.

Thomas was breathing heavily, he held a large launcher in his right hand, and he was holding the woman from earlier's arm in his left. His forehead was slick with sweat, a determined expression gracing his features. His eyes darted around the room, at the doctors by the computers, the glass pane behind the beds, and finally the two girls laying near lifelessly in them.