《49》

Reyna

And quickly, I found myself in the middle of another mess. After Percy gave the order, everyone scrambled for cover, diving behind cabins and clambering onto rooftops. Everyone's weapons were readied and waiting for their target. I was back to back with Percy who hadn't moved despite his order.

"What are they waiting for?" He asked quietly.

"I don't know," I admitted. "We're sitting ducks. If they're smart, they'll strike now. Before we can figure out what they are," I added in a hushed whisper.

"Why would they just attack and disappear?"

"They disappeared when they were discovered-"

"But not before they tried to attack Peter," Percy finished.

I though on that for a minute. Peter, the Spider-Man - why would they want to attack him? Or perhaps...

"Were they even trying to?" I wondered.

"What do you-?" Percy was cut off by a pained scream from my left. We immediately headed towards it, only to find that we were too late. In front of us was a young boy with a bleeding hole in his chest. His bright eyes were wide with fear and tears drowned them.

Seconds later, there was another screech, followed by another. The scene of New Rome bursting into flame flashed before my eyes. "No," I gasped.

Then there was another scream. Percy ran toward it while I remained frozen and numb. Screams echoed around my head, clouding my mind and judgement.

"Reyna!" Somone yelled. I glanced up at Piper who was somehow knelt in front of me.

"Piper?"

"You can't break down now Reyna. The people need you. We don't have Frank or Annabeth.  You and Percy are all we have. That's a lot of pressure, but you are the strongest person I know and I'm confident you can bear the burden."

Her words became a rope that pulled me from my sea of despair and onto shore. I nodded to Piper, to signal she'd gotten through to me, then we ran towards the bonfire to rally the campers.

《<>》

Percy

I ran towards the next sound, swinging my sword and hoping I'd hit something. Battling the sea monster was nothing compared to fighting an unseen threat. There were screams all around me, and each scream only signalled my failure in protecting my camp from monsters. To think, I thought I was done after Gaia...

I found myself by the arena, where I saw a few demigods, Greek, waving their swords wildly while shadows kept emerging to attack them. I ran faster. As I got closer, the faces became clearer: Connor, Sherman and some others I wasn't familiar with. They seemed to be holding their own, just barely. Then, a shadow jumped out from behind an attack dummy while Sherman's back was turned. "Watch out!" I yelled, but Sherman didn't turn fast enough and I could only watch in slow motion as a pointed blade that grew from its arm pierced his chest.

Connor quickly turned and ran the monster through with his sword, but it was too late. Sherman was gone. What was I gonna tell Clarisse? I reached the arena just in time to see another demigod get sliced in half by a shadow. I stabbed it, but the demigod was dead, no hope. The four of us that remained backed up into a loose circle with each of us watching an angle.

One suddenly appeared to my left but Connor stepped forward to cut down. I realised too late that it was a trap when a shadow, spawned from behind and stabbed him in the back. I screeched, stabbing the monster several times as it disintegrated. That seemed to discourage the rest of them, and they disappeared.

I slid onto my knees beside Connor who was bleeding profusely and choking on the precious red liquid. "P-percy?" He choked.

"It's gonna be okay," I lied, pressing my hands against the wound in his stomach even though I knew he was a lost cause.

Connor smirked, though it turned into more of a grimace. "I'm no...doctor. B-but I'm not...stupid." He coughed violently, spraying blood into my t-shirt. "J-just tell Travis...I-I love him. H-he better...marry Katie. Promise?"

"I promise," I managed.

Connor smiled, feeling at ease with my words. "Kick his ass for me Jackson." And with that, his chest stopped rising. His eyes hung pale and open. I held back a sob as I reached forward to close his eyes. I walked over and did the same for Sherman and the other kid. I helped the remaining demigods to their feet and we staggered in the direction of the amphitheater.

I tried to put the images - of Connor and Sherman and the other demigods I'd seen lying, bleeding - out of my mind. But my tears continued to track down my face and I only needed to glance down at the blood coating my hands - Connor's blood - to remind me of the losses...and the vengeance I was going to wreak upon Tartarus.

《<>》

Well...yeah...I don't really have much to say.

I hope you guys liked it, even if you didn't enjoy it.

~GingerbreadHalfblood