《42》

Are the troops ready?

Yes Sire. I've readied the land troops, and Keto has agreed to aid us.

Good. Then we will soon crush the demigods. Did any appeal to my offer?

One, Sire. But I'm sure more will join.

No matter. They will all kneel soon enough.

Then, I should lead the troops to battle?

No.

No, Sire?

I have a more suitable task in mind.

《<>》

Play music here:

《<>》

Hazel

"Percy! Hang on a sec!" I heard someone shout outside.

I immediately perked up. Percy and Annabeth were back. I glanced up to see Percy, looking frantic, enter the room.

I heard him call my name. "Hazel?" When his eyes finally settled on me, he ran over and immediately hugged me. "Hazel, I'm so sorry," he choked.

I froze up. "Sorry for what?"

He pulled away and looked me in the eyes. "That I wasn't there. That-that I..."

I pulled away so that Percy could see me shake my head. "Don't. Frank wouldn't want you to...to blame yourself," I said quietly. "What's important is that we stop Tartarus and avenge him."

Percy nodded but didn't say anything, maybe he was taken aback by the hardness in my voice.

"Where's Annabeth?" I asked, wondering where the daughter of Athena could be.

I frowned when I noticed Percy clench his fists. "They took her," he growled. "A hellhound grabbed her in its jaw and took her."

"Percy, I-"

"No. It's okay. We're going to get her back, then we're going to destroy Tartarus for what he's done."

"Okay," I agreed.

Suddenly, a loud horn sounded. I glanced at Percy, but he seemed as confused as I was. "What?"

The two of us rushed out of the Hades cabin to see campers running around and shouting at each other. I saw a lot of the older campers and my fellow Romans standing around, just as confused as Percy and me. I saw Percy make his way over to a boy with messy brown hair. I followed.

"Connor, what's going on!?" He shouted over the campers and the horn.

"No clue," Connor shouted back. "The newbies just started heading over to the border."

"Why? Do they know something we don't?" Percy questioned as he stared at a young camper, attempting to read his mind.

"You two are both dense, aren't you?" Nico growled after having suddenly appeared beside me.