《19.C》

"Percy," Annabeth gasped as she tightly embraced him.

Percy was hesitant but gladly returned the hug. They were like that for a while until I coughed to remind them I was there.

Percy chuckled. "Sorry Pipes. What did I miss?"

"Nothing really," I replied, "but you can help us."

Percy frowned in confusion. "With what?"

"Continuing the tale of Tartarus."

Percy choked on his breath. "Excuse me!"

"Annabeth was telling me what happened and I think you need to open up as well..."

I waited for him to yell or drown me but he just hung his head and asked, "Where did we get to?"

"When Akhlys attacked us," Annabeth said quietly.

"Oh, are you sure...?"

Annabeth nodded.

"Ok then.

Akhlys lunged at me, and for a split second I thought: Well, hey, I’m just smoke. She can’t touch me, right?

I can imagine the Fates up in Olympus, laughing at my wishful thinking: LOL, NOOB!

Her claws raked across my chest and stung like boiling water.

I stumbled backward, but I wasn’t used to being smoky. My legs moved too slowly. My arms felt like tissue paper. In desperation, I threw my backpack at her, thinking maybe it would turn solid when it left my hand, but no such luck. It fell with a soft thud.

Akhlys snarled, crouching to spring. She would have bitten my face off if Annabeth hadn’t charged and screamed, “HEY!” right in the goddess’s ear.

Akhlys flinched, turning toward the sound.

She lashed out at Annabeth, but Annabeth was better at moving than me. Maybe she wasn’t feeling as smoky, or maybe she’d just had more combat training. She’s been at Camp Half-Blood since she was seven. Probably she’d had classes I never got, like How to Fight While Partially Made of Smoke."

Annabeth punched his arm gently. Percy smiled and continued...

" Then Annabeth dove straight between the goddess’s legs and somersaulted to her feet. Akhlys turned and attacked, but Annabeth dodged again, like a matador.

I was so stunned, I lost a few precious seconds. I stared at corpse Annabeth, shrouded in mist but moving as fast and confidently as ever. Then it occurred to me why she was doing this: to buy us time. Which meant I needed to help.

I thought furiously, trying to come up with a way to defeat Misery. How could I fight when I couldn’t touch anything?

On Akhlys’s third attack, Annabeth wasn’t so lucky. She tried to veer aside, but the goddess grabbed Annabeth’s wrist and pulled her hard, sending her sprawling.

Before the goddess could pounce, I advanced, yelling and waving my sword. I still felt about as solid as a Kleenex, but my anger seemed to help me move faster. I distracted her by calling her happy, which she was not happy about. She spun, dropping Annabeth’s arm. I ducked as she swiped at my head and called her cheerful