Chapter Forty Four

"Lexa Kom Trikru spoke of you in the Flame

"Lexa Kom Trikru spoke of you in the Flame. You're ledgendary amongst our kind."

"Well just between us girls...She was always my favourite Commander."

Without waiting to knock I shove the door open to Nate and Jackson's room, a large smile on my face seeing them naked under the sheets "Well at least some things never change

Without waiting to knock I shove the door open to Nate and Jackson's room, a large smile on my face seeing them naked under the sheets "Well at least some things never change."

"Yeah", Nate huffs as Jackson flops back into the cushions defeatedly "Your inability to knock." Raising himself onto his elbows, Nate asks "What's up?"

"We need to take inventory of what we've got", I lean against the threshold of their room, making the point "Considering there is only a handful of us who've lived down here it'd be smart if we can get numbers on our supplies."

"Why not take Nylah?"

"Nylah" Tilting my head around, a smile etches into my features seeing her glide into their room with a drunken stumble "Is occupied." Booze bottle hung from her fingertips I can't help but wonder where she stashed that for six years. Bloodreina had all supplies going through her. How the hell did she manage to keep that a secret?

Rolling his neck, Nate flops back into his sheets "I need five minutes." Shrugging, I pull the door behind me and wrap around Nylah to encourage her out too. Urging Nylah to sleep off her state she mentions she's going to find Echo. Quietly I watch her stumble in a zig-zag until completely disappearing from sight.

{}{}{}

"I hated it down here", Nate mutters dreadfully as we stalk down the dim corridors, illuminated in the phantom yellow glow "Everything we did buried down here it keeps flashing back in my head." I can't help but silently agree with a low hum. Bloodreina, The Dark Year, the Fighting Pit, Wonkru. With every corridor we turn into what is another memory of survival. The horror humanity will endure. Down here it never stopped. It was no longer a means to an end. It was just the end. Our boots echoing down the hallway we turn, Nate mutters "You know.. he forgave me for everything I did down here... and I couldn't even do the same for him."