Chapter Eight

"You are many annoying things Avery Armelle

"You are many annoying things Avery Armelle... A monster isn't one of them."

That night they gave us all our own rooms to sleep in

That night they gave us all our own rooms to sleep in. Bellamy and I took one together on the second floor above the tavern. Compared to all the places I've slept in my life, this has to be the most lavish. Like the rest of Sanctum colorful tapestries of reds and yellows hang around the room from the ceiling to the floor. In the middle is a bed made of oak, an intricate headrest pushed against the metal shipping container wall as it holds a thick mattress and countless colorful pillows and blankets. There's a small balcony to stand on and much to my own surprise they've figured out plumbing because there are hot water and an operational toilet up here. I cannot tell you how long it's been since I've had a warm shower. Yet when it came time to sleep, I couldn't. With a million thoughts running through my head I couldn't shut my mind off. Part of the reason the unspoken words sitting between Bellamy and I. We need to talk about it, I know it. But I just can't figure out how to bring it up. Usually, I'm a master of words yet now they decide to elude me. So here I am sitting in the dark on the floor of our room staring out the open balcony, my back resting against the doorway.

Are you truly alright? I mean... were you ever really alright?

You had a front-row seat to him losing his mind and you sat in the mud.

Bludgeoning a man to death... I mean that's just cold-hearted.

Oh, what a dangerous combination they made; brain and brawn.

He can't even see what a danger you are to everyone around you.

You left him in Arkadia to take a bullet to the head.

Three hundred and eight-six souls.

"Ave?" dragged from my thoughts by Bellamy's groggy voice, he leans over the large bed dragging a hand down his face. I can't offer Bellamy anything besides a small smile which disappears as quickly as it shows. Quietly watching him pad around the room in some loose black shorts he was given, Bellamy slides down the wall across from me. I can see he's tired but Bellamy tries to shake it off, "What are you doing Ave?"