The First Cut is the Deepest

Start from the beginning

Meredith turned around to face him. "I'm not going out with you."

Derek smiled. "Did I ask you to go out with me? Do you want to go out with me?"

Meredith glared. "I'm not dating you. And I'm definitely not sleeping with you again. You're my boss."

Derek smirked. "I'm your boss's boss."

Meredith looked at him. "You're my teacher. And my teacher's teacher. And you're my teacher."

"I'm your sister, I'm your daughter." Derek continued.

"You have a daughter, remember?" Meredith told him. Then she continued. "You're sexually harassing me."

Derek looked around the elevator. "I'm riding an elevator."

Meredith sighed. "Look, I'm drawing a line. The line is drawn. There's a big line."

"So, this line. Is it imaginary, or do I need to get you a marker?" Derek teased.

Meredith stares at him for a second, drops her folders and kisses him. He's just a tad surprised but catches on pretty fast, until the elevator doors ding and Meredith quickly crouches to pick up her folders and leave. Derek stands there looking bemused.

"We'll talk later?"

/ / /

Mackenzie decided not to hang around the peds floor, and instead found herself at a nurse's station with George and Cristina.

"Do you know what the code team does? Saves lives. I shock a heart and someone lives to see another day. It's upbeat. It's glass half full." George told Cristina and Mackenzie.

Cristina glared. "Bambi, don't say another word until after the hunter shoots your mother."

Mackenzie glared at Cristina. "You're rude to George. Shut up."

George fist bumped with Mackenzie. Then his attention went to Cristina. "I don't like you."

Cristina shrugged. "Well, I have a B.A. from Smith, a Ph.D. from Berkeley, and an MD from Stanford and I'm delivering lab results. It's going to take me all day to get through these."

Mackenzie was about to comment, but Bailey beat her to it. "Then get started."

Cristina paled. "Oh, uh, I wasn't complaining. I-I don't — "

"You're totally complaining. You're worse at lying than you are being a kiss-up." Mackenzie stated bluntly. This received a smile from George and a smirk from Bailey.

"This intern was reassigned, so he's mine, now." Bailey told Cristina. Mackenzie saw that it was Alex, the same intern who couldn't list off the common causes of post-op fever. "Have him shadow you for the day. You show him how I do things."

Alex looked at Cristina. "Alex Karev, nice to meet you."

"The pig who called Meredith a nurse, yeah. I hate you on principle." Cristina commented.

Alex smirked. "And you're the pushy overbearing kiss-ass, I, uh, I hate you too."

Cristina smiled. "Oh, should be fun then."

George's pager beeped, and Mackenzie watched as he ran through the corridor.

"Go save some lives, George."

/ / /

Meredith placed her cooler on a desk where George is working.

Mackenzie and George both look at the cooler in curiosity. "What's that?" They asked.