Chapter 13 "I Could Never Hate You"

A/N: :) The reason being you aren't so lovey dovey and all is simply because currently, the relationship between you and Bernard is more so like a best friend relationship so lovey wholesome stuff will come later. I pinky promise! I'm just creating a realistic development to a relationship :)

Also our boi experiences a little bit of mood swings here...Cuz...he's ill :) 

I peered down, analyzing his current physique. Man...he looked terrible. His puffed eyes with added dark circles underneath weighed heavily. Locks of his curly hair clung to his skin accompanied by a bright red stuffy nose.

I had to resist the strong urge to sing "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" judging by how much red hues flared from his face. Man...I'd hate to be him at this moment. Understandable of why he was excessively bitchy (for lack of better word :P)

Hesitantly I placed a delicate hand on his in a reassuring manner. My eyebrows furrowed downard in contemplation. My eyes gazed upwards to meet his, "Bernard...You are by far the most hardworking person-excuse me- elf I know...I understand your determination and loyalty to getting things done and all but-"

Bernard's red-rimmed eyes bore into mine. He gulped down the lump in his throat. (due to irradiation in the throat) His tone of voice walked the line of bitterness and irritation, "Y/n. I can't take a break. Christmas is-"

Cue my signature eye roll from the expectancy of his excuse, "-only 7 months away Bernard! C'mon now, you have others who would take on the role for you! Including me! We all care for you, you deserve to rest."

Given nothing but a sigh traced with irritation, I bite my thumb as my eyes dashed around the room in search of something to cheer this little angy fucker.

It seems I've always been a lucky charm as my eyes landed on a familiar signature everest green beret. I bent over to gently pick it up almost as if it was some sort of artifact. I fixated the beret onto my head, fixing any strands that fell out of place before turning back to the angry gremlin.

"Ahem- hey how ya doin~" I mimicked his signature New Jersey-ish accent (I think it's what accent he has idk) pointing up finger guns at him.

Prompt an unimpressed pair of eyes boring into my damn soul accompanied by me being surged with a wave of embarrassment. But a rush of determination deterred me from giving up. I am making this angy boi happy.

I contemplated for a few seconds thinking of memorable quotes from the guy, "Uhhhh- oh!" I reverted back to a stance that mocked Bernard's: Hunched-over-angry-boy, "Who's causing all the trouble around here!?" I broke character for a few moments to heave a few wheezes, "That was the first time I heard your voice!"

Cue the awkward deafening silence.

I tossed my arms up in the air, then allowing them to go limp in a "bro c'monnnnn" manner.

However, I'd like to note I felt as if I almost got him that time. It wasn't evident through his actions, I just felt it...if that makes any sense.

Fixating my posture, I cleared my throat again, "Eyy dollface, you've been sitting there for a full minute- you okay or are you having a stroke?"

Bernard's lips pursed into a smile for a slither of a moment allowing for an adorable little chuckle to come out. He tried sustaining himself, but it was evident to me I was close to cheering him up.

A wide smile tugged at my lips, I then recovered my terrible New Jersey accent as I sang, "Bernard the red nose head elf! Had a very red-ass nose! And if ever saw it...you would even say it glows!"

Bernard's previously deadpanned face turned to one of laughter. Mood swings perhaps? Or am I just that funny? That last option seems more fulfilling-

"Hahahah! Okay okay- I gotta hand it to ya, that was pretty good y/n!" His hoarse chuckles were isolated in my ears. Something about it just made me, for lack of better term, happy...

I bowed playfully, tipping the edge of his beret "Why thank you dollface"

He released one more chuckle before falling into a pondering state. He inhaled deeply and heaved it out, almost in a nervous nature, "Look...only now it hits me how special you are, you're the only person who genuinely cares for my well-being-I mean-look at how hard you're trying!" He stumbled his words throughout that whole sentence ending with a slightly raised voice.

Ahhh I see, the sentiment has finally hit him.

I simply rolled my eyes at that last remark and smiled it off. "Don't worry about it! It's okay-"

He came quick to interrupt my reassurance, "It's not okay, I'm sorry."

My eyes pondered off to the side, agreeing with his statement partially, "Well...yea, I guess you're right. Heh- I almost broke to tears that other night! I thought you hated me or something-"

I was suddenly cut off by a warm embrace engulfing me.

"I could never hate you..."