Chapter 10 "What the hell? Pt2"

A/N: If you took notice of the drastic change in writing style, that's simply because I remembered I'm an Honors English student and also becuz the first half was written in 2019 and I was lazy

A duration of about 8 years surpassed. For lack of a better term, the past few years were rather interesting. Taking on the role as quote unquote by Bernard himself, "1.5 head elf" always had bundles of surprises awaiting each and every day.

Taking on this specific role, I'd expect to be working with Bernard for most duration of each day; however, that didn't appear to be the case for most days. We both had differing expertise so we were separated for most of the day...sadly

What? Nvm...I didn't mind. I got to exercise a skill I previously thought wasn't possible for me, leadership. I'm not hot-headed and short tempered like Bernard, I only used that side of me when deemed absolutely necessary. I was for sure more forgiving. To which the elves favored- but it was good Bernard exists to keep them all in check.

It's physically impossible for me to raise my voice in any manner.

I took the role as directing engineer and medic since I held an interest in both during my high-school year as a human.

Now that you're all caught up, let's get going with the story shall we? [4th wall breaking intensifies]

Dawn til dusk, we've all been working hard as per usual. Night was approaching and could be seen through the myriad of windows. Shades of baby blue altered to hues of yellow, pink, purple, and orange. It was nearing the end of shifts for the day-shift elves which included me and Bernard. Curtis would typically take on the role as head elf during the evening.

"Hey Curtis, here's the written report of what we got done today for improvements on Santa's sleigh" I handed him a clipboard. My eyelids grew heavy and began drooping as a wave of fatigue surged over me.

"Got it ma'am! Go get some rest, you look dead" Curtis playfully remarked.

I didn't have much energy to conjure up anything verbal so I just turned to my heels and waved him a small goodbye.

Sleepily, I waltzed down a series of stairs and headed for "Santa's suite" for the daily meeting conducted at the end of the day where Santa and Bernard were waiting.

Whilst yawning, I heaved open the rather excessively heavy and large door.

"We need lighter doors...I'll work on that tomorrow..."

Bernard stood idle in the middle of the room, arms crossed, and feet tapping impatiently on the floor. My father was probably busy fetching some hot cocoa as is customary.

This confused me, I've never really seen him like this. I found myself tilting my head to the side, "uhm is there something wrong?" I say twiddling with my fingers nervously hoping I wasn't in any sort of trouble.

"You're. Late." Bernard physically hissed his words through gritted teeth.

"W-what?" I peer down at the watch I made for myself. The second-hand had just ticked past '10' which is the set time we would meet, "but it just turned ten-"

"I don't wanna hear any excuses aight?"

"What the hell is going on...?"

My inner conscious longed to say "Are you on your man-period or something?" However, I was thoroughly aware that would only derive more frustration from him. No one wants salt rubbed in a wound.

Still agitatedly fondling with my fingers and picking at small bits of skin, I nervously walked forward bracing my arms and hands in the scenario I got yelled at.

"What have you gotten done today?" Bernard questioned-almost demanding-with stern eyes staring me down, almost trying to intimidate me. A sinking feeling overwhelmed my gut.

With a shaken physique, I raised my finger in a -as a matter of fact- manner, "Well- uhhh my t-team and I nearly finished the advancements to Santa's sleigh-"

"That's it?" those mere two words seethed through his teeth like venom, emphasizing each syllable sternly.

"I-I? I'm sorry- but-" Words consistently would get entangled with my tongue, disabling me from the ability to debate his ignorance.

"You know what-" Bernard raised both of his hands, suspending themselves in the air for a mere moment, to have them thrown back down in a fit, "-I'm not dealing with this tonight." with impatient paced footsteps, he forcibly brushed past me, slamming his shoulder against mine. His actions left me hissing through my teeth in slight pain as I gripped the sore area.

My eyes peered downwards noticing a familiar green hat, a signature feature that belonged to Bernard, fallen to the floor. I gently picked it up while caressing it, feeling up the soft silky texture. I peered back down to where he had made his exit.

"What the hell...?"

-timeskip-

Biting my thumb, I anxiously waited for the arrival of my father to interrogate him of what the actually fuck happened to Bernard. My teeth grit against flakes of the skin on my thumb, almost puncturing through, due to my mere anxiety.

I nearly jumped through the ceiling once I heard a familiar laugh and an opening door.

"Okay okay! See ya tomorrow! Great work you guys- uhhh what happened?" His mood of joining got towered with concern. One brow was raised as he analyzed my body language which was clearly bent out of the usual.

"Uhm- Bernard-"

"Oh yea- he's been overly cranky today huh? Even with you? I'm surprised, he's got a soft spot for you." I felt a bit of blood being rushed to my cheeks from that remark but brushed it off as concern for Bernard took over.

"Yeah...I have no idea what's up with him..." My eyebrows furrowed downwards with stress as my body swayed back and forth because of it.

"Tell ya what, until you figure out what's wrong with him, I want you to shift over to being a medic for now. I can't have him being the head elf like that" He chuckled softly almost soothing away the distress that flooded me. I returned his cheerfulness with a small smile and nodded.

"Roger that sir- I'm gonna head to bed. All this crap has drained me" ensuring I heavily emphasized 'drained' I let out a dramatic sigh as I walked toward the door, struggling to heave it open. I swear we need new doors.

"Goodnight dad!"

"Goodnight y/n, rest up, you look dead"

Taken aback, I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "Jeez are my eye-bags really that bad?" I murmur to myself as I shut the heavy-ass door.

I felt as if dumbbells were strapped to my back as another wave of fatigue rushed over me. I dragged my feet down the corridor.

In my peripheral vision, I caught sight of a familiar figure. I peered up and noticed a peeved off head-elf glaring me down, only contributing a heavier weight on my shoulders. We locked eye contact for a few seconds, to which I quickly pulled away. The intimidation and, for lack of better word, heartbreak I felt was too much to bear at this time of night.

I reached the end of the corridor and groggily dragged my door to a certain extent to where I was able to slither through.

With hasty hollow breaths I closed the door shut allowing a wave of relief to surge over me.

"Finally, I can get some rest-" I physically throw myself over onto the bed allowing my body to be enveloped in my silky fluffy bed sheets. I rode a carousel of thoughts all derived from anxiety before I could fall into a peaceful slumber.

Tomorrow is gonna be a looonggg day.