Chapter 9 | To The Mall

I go to Sabrina's house the next day after school. I didn't feel like telling her about how my parents took the news at school. We got to her house and I brought a whole lot of memories of when we were little. We would play with Barbie's and watch movies. We had a normal childhood. But now I won't have a normal teenage life.

We go up to her bedroom and there is a picture of us on her dresser mirror a week before the party. A week before all of this started. She sits on her canopy bed and asks, "So... How did you parents take it?" She has a concerned look on her face.

"At first, they were angry. Especially my dad. My mom got him to calm down but I could tell she was pretty upset too. In the end they were more sad than mad. So, I guess it went better than most teens."

"Do they know you don't know who the father is?"

"Yeah. That just got my dad more angrier." A tear escapes my left eye and I wipe it away. I sit next to her and rest my head on her shoulder. "How did we get here? How did I get here? Just a month ago we were at Knott's Soak City having fun like normal teenagers and watching guys try to ask for our number."

"To their defense, they were cute." Sabrina says with a tiny smile on her face. I chuckle at that. "I knew I could make you laugh."

"Let's go out. Soon I'm not going to be able to go out much without being judged and looked at. So, let's take advantage of the time we have now."

"Okay. Where to partner?" She says with a smile on her face. For a moment this feels just like old times. For today it will be.

"Hmm. How about to the mall? We can try to get you a cute guy's number."

Sabrina replies by saying, "Please. They'll be trying to get my number." We both laugh and with that, we're off.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

We arrive at the mall, and it's huge. It's two levels, with a children play area. There are many people here. Couples, teens, children, parents. There is a particular pair that catches my eye. A young couple that seem to be in their twenty's, having a baby. It could be more than a few months old.

Without realizing what I'm doing I go up to them and look at their baby.

Sabrina realizes I've stopped walking with her and says, "Pen? Pen! What are you doing?"

"Hey little guy." I find myself grinning. The couple looks at me. But I'm still looking at the baby.

Sabrina has a sorry expression on her face, "We're so sorry."

"No it's okay," says the woman. "His name is Kevin. He's three months old." To Kevin she says, "Isn't that right, Kevin?"

"Is your mother having a baby?" The man asks like it's totally normal for a fifteen year old to have one. "When I was younger and my mom revealed that I was going to have a baby sister, I looked at all the girls, watching how they acted and wondering how she was going to turn out."

I'm truthful to them and don't lie by saying that it's my mother that's having a a any. Though, I'm a bit hesitant at first. "Actually, it's not my mom having the baby. It's, uh. It's me."

"Oh," say the woman and the man at the same time.

The woman doesn't seem as, what I'm guessing, is her husband.

The woman finally breaks the silence by saying, "My mother was a teen mom too. Had me at eighteen." Eighteen. It's not as young as fifteen. I shouldn't be having a baby at fifteen. Not that it wouldn't be any different at eighteen.

"I'm Vanessa," she extends her hand towards me and I shake it. She does the same to Sabrina, who I forgot was here. "And this is my husband, Richard."

"Nice to meet you both." I say it while shaking Richard's hand. "Anyway, we should better get going. Sorry for bothering you."

"Don't worry about it," says Richard.

We walk away and once we're out of earshot Sabrina scream whispers to me, "What were you thinking?"

"I was just curious. I know it was rude just go up to them like that."

"Hey," says a familiar voice. "What a coincidence we ran into each other."

Sabrina and I turn around and we can see its Caleb with his friends. This time not just one gender.

"Hi Caleb."