Chapter 13 | Police

There was a police here. At my house. Asking for what happened at the party.

The officer spoke, "You can tell me what happened." Should I tell her? Of course I should tell her. Will I tell her? I don't know.

"Umm," I finally say after what seemed hours. "I uh. You see um. What Uh happened, it um." Oh no. It can't be. Not now. I hadn't had on of those in forever. A panic attack.

I start gasping for air. I grab my mother by the shoulder hoping to steady myself. It feels like when you're in the ocean and you can't breathe. Or when you miss a flight of stairs, except way longer and way worse. It feels like someone is physically choking but you just won't die. I feel like my heart just might jump out at any moment.

"Honey, are you okay?" I can't distinguish the voice.

"She is having a panic attack."

"Breathe."

"Slow breathes."

Not long after the officer says she'll return another time when I'm feeling okay. "Why did you bring her here?" I ask.

"Honey, what happened to you was terrible. There are tons of girls out there who have this happen to them and don't do anything about it." My mom is pretty good at speeches.

My dad says, "We needed to report this to the authorities and we thought you might be scared to be in an actual police station. Here, you're in a familiar place."

"What if I don't want to talk to her?"

"You have to talk to someone."

"I'm staying the night at Sabrina's," I say it quickly and leave before they can say anything.