•Twenty-Seven•

Start from the beginning

Speedwagon gasped. “He caught the soddin’ spear!”

“Too bad nothing’s going to hurt him,” You said, catching Speedwagon’s attention as you walked towards him, now twirling a second blade in your hands. “He’s immortal.”

“Vex, why do you help a monster like him?” Speedwagon asked, stumbling onto his feet as he held his arm. You narrowed your eyes. 

Monsters like him have been better to me than this fucked up society of people has,” You said, raising the blades and flicked the sharp side out towards him. “And you’ll stay out of his way,”

“Vex, don’t do this!” Speedwagon yelped, jumping to the side to avoid the swipe you sent towards him. You ignored him and dashed towards him, making him gasp at your speed. 

The sound of Jonathan yelling in pain had Speedwagon turning towards the sound, and you took his momentary distraction to knick his cheek. You looked towards Dio as Speedwagon and Jonathan disappeared within the darkness. 

“Hiding, are we?” Dio chuckled, looking around. You walked to his side, dropping the second blade, and held the other at your side. 

“Over there,” You mumbled, pointing to a curtain, where blood trickled from under it. Dio smirked. 

“You were a fool to attack me,” Dio said as he walked towards it. You followed. “I have disowned my weakness in favor of life everlasting. You’re behind the curtain like Polonius, and like Polonius, it is there you shall meet your end!” As Dio reached to pull the curtain back and strike, a wall of flames rushed at the both of you. You screamed in surprise as the flames bit at your arms covering your face. Dio grabbed you and covered your body with his as the heat washed over you. 

“No one’s immortal. Not even you,” Jonathan said. Dio growled and ripped the cloth away from the both of you and shoved you back. You winced as you hit the ground, hissing in pain as you clutched your burnt wrist to your chest. You pushed yourself up and looked towards Dio. The burns on his body were healing faster than the flames could hurt him. 

“If that ain’t immortality,” Speedwagon said. “Then I’m the Queen.”

“Fire hurts him,” Jonathan said. “But not enough.” 

More flames erupted making you gasp and turn your head away. Speedwagon gasped in surprise as Jonathan shoved him away, knocking over a lantern as he did so. 

“What are you doing, Jojo?!” Speedwagon exclaimed. 

“Get to safety, Speedwagon. Take Vex with you,” He ordered. “If Dio wants a fight, then I mean to give him one.” 

“You heard him, back slang it!” Speedwagon said, scrambling towards you. 

“Hands off, pikey!” You spat, reeling away from him. 

“We’re leaving, Vex! This place is going to crumble to the ground!” Speedwagon yelled. “The flames are going to eat everything up!”

Your response was cut off as a wave of smoke washed over you, making you close your eyes as you started coughing. You felt a pair of hands grip your shoulders and started to pull you away. You glanced over your shoulder at Dio through watery eyes and saw him watching you, frowning, but making no move to stop you. He gave you a small smile and a wink before turning to face Jonathan. 

“Come on,” Speedwagon urged, raising one of his arms to his mouth and nose to help block out some of the smoke. 

“Look out!” You said, grabbing him and yanking him to the side as a beam of wood came crashing down. 

“Hurry!” He said, pulling you further, only to stop and stumble back as another beam fell. Every way you turned, a new beam fell, trapping you and Speedwagon within the flames. You were so hot, sweat forming on your face and body. The smoke was so thick you could barely see around you anymore, not to mention the water forming in your eyes from the stinging in them. It was getting harder to breathe. You needed to get out of here before you suffocated. 

“This way!” You yelled, dropping your arm from your face as you grabbed the part of a beam that wasn’t on fire. You hissed at the heat radiating off of it, but tore through it as you shoved it to the side, thankful that the flames had eaten it enough for it to crumble. 

“Careful!” Speedwagon warned as you ducked under another piece of wood and backed away as more things fell from the ceiling. 

“Dammit!” You yelled as a new wave of heat rushed towards you. 

“Above you!” Speedwagon exclaimed. 

Your gaze snapped up to the rafters above you. You didn’t even have time to react as your eyes widened. You didn’t have enough time to move out of the way before something crashed onto your body, and your vision instantly went black.