The Fish

"Is this your way of breaking up with me?" Alice crossed her arms, her eyes involuntarily filling with tears.

FP frowned. What was she talking about? "Wait, what?"

"Taking a job that far away, which basically means the end for us." She pointed out, raising her voice once more.

"Al, that's not what I am saying. I thought you wanted for me to do something that I love. I found that now, and suddenly you're not on board?" He grew frustrated with her, feeling that she only supported him when it was convenient.

Was the situation ideal? No. Definitely not. But he was suffocating in Riverdale and finally found something that would be perfect for him.

"I'm not on board because it's all just a cover up because you're not man enough to tell me that this is over." Alice poked her tongue into her cheek and shook her head as she turned to the kitchen, wanting this conversation to end.

"Where did you get that conclusion? I don't want to lose you, Alice. I just want a job that I love. Is that too much to ask from my significant other?" He tried to stay calm, but the more she rambled irrationally, the more he felt like he was talking to the wall.

"And you couldn't find that job any closer? How do you think we're going to manage being apart from each other?" Alice turned on her heel, back to face him again, her eyes spitting fire. She was beyond mad. FP stayed silent.

"Well?" She spat, demanding an answer.

"I figured we could talk about that together, as a team. Couldn't be more wrong." FP gritted through his teeth, wanting to turn around and head upstairs to take a shower to cool off. There was just no talking to her, not when her emotions were in control.

"Sure, walk away. Very mature." Alice scoffed, not believing that he was bailing in the middle of an argument. Her comment struck a nerve in FP.

"I'm the childish one?! You don't even hear me out!" He exclaimed, after turning back to face her.

"Hearing you out?! It's clear that you don't want to be around me, FP! Crystal clear!" She yelled, tears stinging in her eyes.

"You know what, if you don't want to be here so badly that it makes you feel you need to take a job that's basically at the other side of the world, go already." She huffed. Her eyes fell on the fish above the phone. In a few quick steps she had reached it and took it away with a hard tug.

"And take that ugly fish with you. I'm done looking at it." She shoved it into his hands. FP let out a bitter laugh.

"You are so fucking unbelievable." He mumbled under his breath, his blood boiling dangerously.

"Sounds like you are the one wanting an out Alice, picking a fight over everything. If you want me gone, fine. I'll go." He threw the fish in front of him with a bang, accidentally but successfully breaking the fish from the wood.

The sound made her jump a little, not expecting for him to be this mad. He had no right to be, had he? Or was she the one in the wrong? Alice watched him leave. The door closed with a slam, leaving her speechless.

**

She had felt bad about their argument all day, knowing that she had gone too far. It were her own insecurities taking over. Alice knew he loved her. Her heart tried to convince her of that all day long. But there were times where her mind tried to tell her that he didn't. That maybe there was no happily ever after for them.

Even when Alice usually went to bed early, she couldn't fall asleep not knowing where FP had gone off too. She knew he always needed some time to calm down, since he is just as much of a hothead as she is. It wasn't until after midnight that he heard the front door.