The Argument

''Why didn't you call me?'' FP stood right in front of Alice, who was just making breakfast. It was in the morning and FP had stopped by the place as soon as he had checked his phone when he woke up. The look in his eyes seemed pretty angry and his voice proofed it.

''It wasn't a big deal, FP,'' she answered nonchalantly. She didn't even look up from the pancakes she was making. It was like almost she was ignoring the fact that he was standing in her living room.

He let out a big sigh. ''So your daughter texting me in the middle of the night telling me you're having a panic attack again isn't a big deal? We talked about this, Alice,'' He took a step closer to her.

Alice gave him an irritated look. His intentions were probably good but right now all he did was annoying her. She hated it when she was vulnerable and she certainely didn't feel like sharing that with him right now.

''I'm not going to call you every time the littlest things happen,'' She tried to clean up the kitchen table like FP wasn't even in the same room as her. If he didn't knew better he would say that this was her new northside version she still wanted to keep up even though Hal was in jail and she was alone again. She and FP had grew closer together the last few months but she wasn't there yet to show him that other side of her. For twenty years she had pretend to be the perfect north side wife and it was hard to let that go.

''This isn't the littlest thing, and you know that,'' He tried to talk with a soft tone, but the conversation was getting on his nerves. He didn't understand why she just couldn't admit that what happend tonight had a big impact on her. He wasn't blind, he knew when something was bothering her.

Alice angrily put down her glass on the counter and slowly turned around to him. ''Betty was there, and I'm totally fine, stop making this bigger than it is,'' She waltzed past him to grab some plates out of the cabinet. Couldn't she just stop being busy with breakfast when they were having a serious converstation?

He looked at her for a few seconds, shook his head and got with his hands through his hair. ''You're as stubborn as ever,'' he said quietly, so she almost couldn't hear him. Now he got her attention.

Something in her snapped. She had a husband for over twenty years who told her what to do so she was done with someone talking to her like that. ''Excuse me?! I'm a grown woman FP, I don't need someone watching over me twenty-four seven,'' she scoffed.

FP tried to soften his look, because he knew it was a touchy subject for her. He wasn't trying to give her orders or tell her what to do, he was just worried about her. He had never been the best in showing her that in a way she understood, but he tried his best.

''I'm only trying to help you,'' His soft voice did something to her, but she wasn't going to admit that, not in the middle of an argument. Alice didn't look him in the eye but continued cleaning.' She knew that if she looked into his eyes right now she would break down in his arms, and that was the last thing she wanted right now.

'Well, if you really want to help me, then get off my back,'' she snapped. He looked at her, his eyes still soft and worried, while she was still looking irritated and annoyed. She hadn't looked up yet, but if she did she had seen that her words had hurt him, but if the soft way didn't work then he had to play along with to get through to her.

''You don't understand, do you?'' he scoffed, still not taking his eyes of her. Alice stopped cleaning and now looked at him. Her expression was still cold.

''What don't I understand FP?'' she said sighing loud. She folded her towel together and placed it on the counter before she waited for him to answer her question. Not that she was really intressted in what he had to say, she just wanted to have breakfast with her childern and for him to leave. If she was going to break down she was going to do it on her own.

''You don't understand why I'm doing this,'' He tried to answer calmly, his voice warm and soft again. Alice crossed her arms, she wasn't going to let his soft tone get through to her. She wasn't ready for that.

''Well, tell me, why are you trying to get on my nerves?'' she sarcastically said. She looked right into his eyes when he remaind silent for a few seconds, building up the tension. It was almost if he didn't know what to say, until he finally blurted out what had been on his minds the last few weeks.

''Because I love you, Alice,'' he quietly said. There was a crack in his voice as if he was trying not to cry right there in front of her, because it had taken him everything to finally tell her this. He wasn't even sure she was ready to say it back, even though he knew she felt it. They had taken it slow but everytime they were together cuddling on the couch, watching a movie, making love, there was that undeniable spark. He just never thought he was going to tell her his true feelings when he woke up that morning, certainely not while they had their first fight.

They weren't even a couple yet, but he felt with every inch of his body that he loved her and even though all she had been doing was keeping her walls up and pushing him away he still wanted to be with her more than he ever wanted to be with anyone else.

Her look softened and she let her arms fall across her body. She didn't expect him to say that. Maybe she expected yelling, him giving her a lecture, or maybe even him leaving because it was to much for him. But no, hearing those words was the last thing she expected. There had formed a warm glow through her body and she couldn't deny to herself that hearing those words after twenty years was everything she needed. Maybe those three words were the last push to break down the wall she had build around herself. Maybe it was time for her to let FP in.

''You love me?'' she asked quietly, like she couldn't believe it. FP's eyes where filled with tears and he slowly walked over to her without breaking their eye contact. He reached for her hand and when she didn't refuse his touch he grabbed it firmly.

''I've never loved anyone this much before,'' he said emotionally. Alice started to tear up. It was the first time in more than twenty five years she heard someone saying this to her, knowing that he meant it. Hal never told her this, maybe because he didn't feel it the way FP did.

''I just don't want you to get hurt ever again,'' His voice broke by the thought Alice, his Alice, would ever get hurt again because she wouldn't let others in. He had done a lot of things in his life that he regretted, where his break-up with Alice certainely was in the top three. They could have been happy, but life got in the way and they both just didn't fight hard enough to make it last, but this time they would.

She took his head into her hands and pushed their foreheads softly together while they closed their eyes. ''It's OK,'' she whispered. It was like she was saying that not only their argument was forgiven and forgotten, but also everything else that happend the last twenty-five years.

He wrapped his hands around her waist and pulled her closer to him. They were still enjoying the silence and being near to each other. ''You know I love you too, right?'' she suddenly whispered, and broke the silence. They both opened their eyes now. A grin formed on FP's face. It was the exact same smile Alice had fallen in love with all those years ago and she was just falling over and over again. ''Now I do,'' he answered and kissed her softly but passionate.

a/n: hi guys! this one shot is actually out of one of my stories but I chose to rewrite it because that story actyally sucked and now I see I'm still learning and how much better I got compared to my first stories. I still have a long way to go, but I love the way I'm heading with my writing since it's still so hard to write in a lanuage that isn't mine.