o n e

Prosper Vixen Isiah

"These shoes are fire! I love them" coming from my 10th customer of the day.

"I'm glad you like them! Here, take my business card. Make sure you recommend me, yeah?"

"Of course don't even worry about it." 

I took the money from his hand counting it, then slipping it into my bag before hopping back into my blacked out range, starting the journey all the way back to south.

Since I was sixteen, I had been reselling shoes. It built me up from nothing and now at the age of 20, I was making thousands a day. Dope Kicks was established exactly four years ago and i was finally on the journey to opening up my own shoe store up in central london. My little business was finally becoming big. Something i had been wishing for since i first started.

 Something i had been wishing for since i first started

I sighed remembering it was congestion time. The lights from the Christmas decorations shone brightly. Reminiscing on all the past Christmas holidays. This used to be my favourite time of the year but now i hate holidays. I no longer looked forward to it. Just another way to remind me of my loneliness. Just me and my money.

Sitting back in my chair, I peered around studying my surroundings. Cars beeping at each other. Hyperactive teens messing about with their friends. Parents walking around with their children.

A little girl holding onto both of her parents' hands, she had the biggest grin on her face, even with her few missing teeth. She was beautiful just like Ayla, but she was gone.

That could've been US. But I just had to ruin everything.

My head laid back onto my seat, slowly starting to get impatient, I was just trying to get home.

I fiddled with the necklace that adorned my chest. It was hers. It brought back all the memories. The good and the bad. Mostly the bad. The day she died remained prominently in my head. I could recall it without missing a single detail.

Her beautiful locks, that once framed her face, lie messily on the ground. She clasped onto her chest as the blood spewed out of her mouth. Dribbling down her face. Tears cascading down her face. I ran towards her body, falling besides her. Her eyes looked lifeless, they were no longer the honey brown orbs she previously had. They were left empty. No sign of life.

"I love you Vixen!" She said as her eyes fluttered close.

"No mommy, mommy," "Please, please" five year old Prosper said as her voice cracked.

She recalled the song her mum would sing to her every night before she went to bed. Her voice was beautiful and Prosper was thankful she inherited her mother's beautiful singing voice.

i found a way to let you in
but i never really had a doubt
standing in the light of your halo
i've got my angel now

it's like i've been awakened
every rule i had you breaking
it's the risk that i'm taking
i ain't never gonna shut you out

everywhere i'm looking now
i'm surrounded by your embrace
baby, i can see your halo
you know you're my saving grace.

Akilah watched as her princess fell asleep on her lap. She stroked her hair and said "Mommy loves you Vixen"

5 year old Prosper whispered " i love you too mommy."

The tears were falling down her face, like they did everyday. The presence of her mother always stayed with her. It was living through her but it was killing her at the same time. Her mother's birth and death date were inked in a cursive font into her skin. Her angel. Her saviour. She was living for her and she would continue to make her proud. No matter what.

"Finally!"

She continued driving sweeping away the tears. In around thirty minutes, Prosper had finally gotten home to her barely new apartment that she had bought roughly six months ago. She entered the building, heading to reception to check if she had received any new packages.

As the receptionist went off to go and get the packages, a tall man stood next to her. She felt his intense stare on her. No doubt he liked what he saw. Prosper looked over, her eyes meeting another pair of chocolate brown orbs, just like hers. His dark mocha skin glowed. He had a full beard which connected to his sideburns. Giving him a slightly ruggish look. He was beautiful to say the less.

But she couldn't be drawn in by someone like him again. The unknown man reminded Prosper off him. His aura and they way he carried himself. The exact way he drew her in. Never again.

Prosper looked away as she saw her packages being brought to her.
"Thank you!" as she walked towards the elevator she could still feel him staring into her back.

-torixteni