Chapter 14: I killed him

Sam took Danielle in his arms as soon as he found her. She hadn't left the closet.

"I'm so sorry, princess. I shouldn't have left you alone. I came back as quickly as possible and I called the cops on the way here. Did he hurt you? What did he do? Did he say anything? Please talk to me. Tell me what happened."

Danielle pushed him away slowly and sat on the bed. Her mind was blank. She couldn't focus on what Sam was saying.

This was pure madness. This guy was crazy.

She blinked and saw that the police had arrived. Sam was crouching before her, frowning in worry. His lips were moving. His eyes scanned her body, looking for any kind of injuries.

She was fine. Simply in a state of shock after what happened. She tried to focus on the current situation.

"Come on, princess. I need to know that you're okay."

She nodded and looked at Sam, then at the police officers in the room. They were looking everywhere. Looking for clues. Things that looked out of place. They were waiting for her to finally say something.

"Can we go in the living-room to talk?"

The main officer nodded and led the way. She followed, feeling Sam's warm hand on her lower back.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Danielle tried to describe as best as she could what had happened. A man had knocked at the door, and when she refused to let him in, he had used his own key.

"I didn't notice any of my keys missing. Is it possible that he stole one, made a spare, and just put mine back?

-Well, I'm guessing that's what happened. I don't see any other explanation.

-One of Danielle's keys disappeared a while ago, but at the time we didn't think much of it.

-I see. Well, Miss Fraiser, you better change your locks. And for now, I don't think you should even go back to your house. Staying together seems wiser. However, I don't think it's safe to stay here either. Since you apparently have an appartement in the city, I advise you go there for the time being, and come back here only once this problem is solved."

Sam sensed Danielle's anxiety just thinking about it. She had left for a good reason. The city made her claustrophobic. It had sucked all creativity and imagination out of her. She didn't want to go back.

"Can you tell me what happened next, Miss Fraiser?

-He looked for me throughout the whole house. I think he knew I was in the closet. He was enjoying it, like playing hide and seek. He also called me "little mouse", which felt kinda weird. And when the phone rang, he asked me if he should answer it or not. I don't know what Sam told him then, but he was furious.

-I only told him to get away from you. I said that I was coming back and that I would call the police, but that if I arrived before the police and he was still here, then I would kill him with my bare hands... I shouldn't have threatened him, but I was so terrified at the idea of him hurting you. I only wanted to scare him away."

Danielle felt proud of him. He had run for her. She knew Sam would make everything in his power to protect her. It gave her the courage to go on with her story.

"When he hung up, he came straight to me. He told me a bunch of weird things, like we belong together and he read all my books and he could see through the words, like I was sending him a secret message and calling for him."