Part 5 Her Downfall

ابدأ من البداية

He took me yachting on his boat. Such adventures lost to me since my parents passed. It reminded me of so many good memories before my world crashed in flames and went to shit. He looked amazing in khaki shorts and a polo shirt. He exuded the aura of a Kennedy.

He taught me enough to keep us on the water and enjoy the sun and ocean. He commanded all the traits which leave last impressions on people. I couldn't distinguish the boy I grew up with anywhere within the man who stood before me.

After more than half a day out on the water, he took me to a nearby dockside seafood restaurant. The type of cute little cozy place which served amazing food and better atmosphere.

He talked to me about law school, and the rush of being in like in a court room. I talked about culinary school and working in kitchens. He hinted on our second date I should cook for him at his place. He mentioned good cooking was absent from his life for a long time. I noticed a change in his attitude for a second, and it tugged at my heart strings even though I didn't want it to.

I asked him what he meant. How could I not? He told a short tale of a missing cousin he grew up with, who often took care of him and his twin brother after their parents died from a drunk driver on New Year's Eve. She disappeared 5 years ago, and still hurt too much to discuss.

His story undoubtedly turned girls into malleable prey in his hands. Knowing the truth kept me grounded and reminded me of his capabilities. I wondered how many girls had fallen for the act before.

He carried himself like a perfect gentleman the whole time. He opened doors and pulled out chairs. He never tried anything. At the end of the night he dropped me back off at my car and gave me a simple kiss on the lips. Just enough to show his intentions but leave you wanting more. His moves were well-practiced, and I gave him credit. Then he said, "So next time dinner at my place right? You're cooking?" He hopped in his car and drove away before I could refuse. It would get me inside.

I wondered if they still shared the same place near the bar. A lot could change in a year, after so much time I knew nothing. So many questions hung in the air unanswered, and I needed answers like air.

I changed into jammies and rested on the couch long before Carter walked through the door. Even later curled in his arms I couldn't stop thinking about the gentleman side of Josh which I never knew.

Oct 2

Today was my second date with Josh. I planned for a lunch date because Carter leaves to open the bar in the late morning. I flirted with Josh shamelessly via text since our last date. He tried exponentially to convince me to come cook for him, but there were too many risk factors. I didn't know if Jake lived there, and what if he recognized the taste of my cooking. I considered picking a dish I never made for them. Something I didn't learn until years later, but it just seemed better to avoid it altogether. Maybe I moved a certain way in the kitchen he would notice.

Instead we proceeded to the aquarium and played 20 questions. I couldn't give him my usual back story about dead parents and foster care because it hit too close to home. I changed the story to foster care with no family. It prevented a lot of paths of questions which would involve too many lies to remember. The easiest way to keep lies minimal and as close to the truth as possible would always be simplicity and less information.

I procured some interesting information from him. He moved back into his family house with his brother. They made several changes to the property in the last year since moving in. This perked my curiosity. It fascinated me to think about the two of them back home. What did they change?