12 | Alexandra

Ever since I started being Butterfly I could confidently say that every night was different.

The music was different, the weather was different, the vibes were different but most importantly, the people were different.

That was exactly what I'd craved when I decided to become Butterfly. I wanted a difference, I wanted change.

Never in a million years did I imagine that my boss was different too when the sun went down.

I honestly couldn't fathom that Carson was capable of doing many things other than boss me around, I couldn't imagine that he was capable of being human.

That was what intrigued me the most. That he could show emotion.

We were at the beach, sitting among the rocks, gazing out at the lapping waves while the gentle breeze flirted with my hair. The sky looked like a velvety blue-black drape had been spread above us reaching out into the horizon.

“You know, if someone had told me two weeks ago that I'd be baring my soul to a semi-stranger I'd have probably drove that person back to the loony bin,” Carson chuckled.

I didn't know how Carson was able to pull it off but as the wind carried his voice to me it sounded both husky and gentle at the same time. And for the umpteenth time since I'd moved our little party out here little flickers of electricity shot through my spine and spread throughout my entire body, speeding up my heart and causing my skin to be super sensitive to the cool air around me.

“No . . . You'd probably have someone else drive that person to the loony bin,” I joked, knowing fully well Carson Miller did not suffer fools gladly.

I saw a flash of white teeth before he turned his smoldering gray eyes to me. I was immediately transported to that brief time in the elevator.

Whatever that was was at the same time scary and delectable, a combination that produced a big fat rock that landed squat in my stomach squishing the butterflies that'd formed.

Despite that I still let him touch me. I still liked it even though I knew exactly how this was going to end. With me heartbroken and jobless. I didn't do relationships and seeing the number of women I had to send flowers with repudiatory notes attached, neither did he.

With that thought I couldn't help but wonder what was going to happen next.

I'll tell you what happens next. That man isn't just hanging out with you because he's actually interested in you. Oh no, honey, don't deceive yourself. He only wants one thing, to get into your pants, and once that's achieved he'll throw you away so fast you'll get whiplash.

I deflated at the words from my inner voice. It was saddening the fact that it was true. What else could he want with a nobody like me?

“Hey,” he cut through my musings with a hand to my cheek. I shivered and hoped he'd think it was from the wind. “Are you ok?”

I looked into his narrow eyes and as if by magic all my insecurities vanished.

“I'm fine,” I nodded and swallowed. After a while I said, “I'm sorry.”

His eyebrows twisted. “For what?”

I let out a breath. “Believing the gossip. I'm on Instagram a lot and the verdict on you is . . .” I shook my head. “Yikes.”

He removed his hand and folded them on his lap. I adored the way his glossy hair moved in the wind.

I was really apologizing for believing that he was a cold hearted robot sent from hell to destroy my sanity. But of course there was no way he would know that.