16 | Alexandra

“Hey,” I greeted as I walked up to Carson toting my duffle bag that held everything I would need.

The scowl on his face softened as I neared him. This was the only time I'd ever seen that happen and it never ceased to amaze me.

“Either I'm still being punished for something I did in a previous life or you just like to keep me waiting.”

Even though he said the words with a certain acidity I couldn't help but drop my bag and give him a hug.

I couldn't stop myself. Even though the man was extremely well-built there was this unexplainable squishiness to him that just made me want to cuddle the life out of him.

And I also loved to see his face right after I pulled away. For a few seconds after I hugged him his face usually had this baffled expression like he was surprised anyone would even touch him that I found adorable.

Much like the one he had now.

“I'm sorry, I was giving my dog a bath. I know that's a horrid excuse but it's the truth.”

His face morphed back into his usual caged look but his eyes — those smoldering pools of liquid grey that burned every area of my skin his gaze touched — betrayed the moody veneer he always seemed to put forward by sparkling with gentle mischief.

“Yes, that is a horrid excuse, I thought I deserved better,” he pouted and I covered my surprise with a small laugh.

“Stalker like you? You're lucky to get even that.”

His gaze inadvertently dropped to my lips and I mindlessly swiped my tongue over my bottom lip to quell the tingling that erupted.

Something flared in Carson's eyes that sent a shiver up my spine.

“So,” I finally broke the heated silence. “I was kinda hoping we'd use the train,” I gestured toward the sleek red convertible.

“The train?” he asked like I'd just suggested we mug an old lady. “Hell no, darling. It's such a nice night for a drive. Besides, I was hoping we could talk.”

I groaned. “Please don't tell me you haven't given up on the getting to know me thing?”

He chuckled. “Honestly, I don't care about that anymore. Tell me, don't tell me, either is fine with me. I just want you right here. With me.”

I found myself grinning like an idiot.

After the shock of secretly seeing my employer at night wore off, I found that it was easy to talk to Carson. With him I just wanted to say whatever random thing that popped into my head. Including things about me, which scared me more than I was ready to admit.

I didn't want him to know how messed up I really was and I didn't want to lie. Even though I could have gotten away with the latter since he had no idea who I was.

It felt wrong to make up something about myself for the sake of seeming interesting. So I decided if we were to explore whatever it was that kept drawing me back to him it would be best to remain in the obscure security that living in the now provided. At least for these three days before I had to tell him goodbye.

“I bet you wish I was a normal girl,” I told him as I stared at him through my eyelashes

“Are you kidding? Fuck no. I like that you're mysterious and quirky,” he fingered the two loose buns on either side of my head my pink hair was currently trapped in with awe.

“And I like that you're a creepy stalker dude with good taste in wine.”

“You're never going to let that go, are you?”