10 | Alexandra

Morgan was frisky today as he walked in front of me on his leash.

I took a bite of my bagel and wished I'd brought a coat or something because it was unusually windy today.

It was Saturday and I didn't have to worry about my day job because Carson usually took a trip to God knows where on Saturdays to come back on Sunday and hole himself up until Monday. I was strangely worried about him but I wouldn't even dare call or text. After last night I was glad that ‘Alex’ didn't have to see him for a while because that'd be all kinds of awkward. On my part at least, he had no freaking clue.

The sun was slowly rising up as Alicia Keys' singing in my ears gave a little pep to my step.

I would've stopped to savor this fine day but Morgan was so hell bent on reaching our destination quickly that he was the one leading me with the leash.

“Alright, alright!” I said to the dog. “I'll walk faster.”

After ten minutes of walking and completing my daily quota of exercise the gates of the shelter loomed ahead.

If Morgan was walking before he broke into a run as soon as he sighted it. I dug my heels in and stopped him just in time otherwise he'd have bumped into a potted plant.

I stopped to catch my breath in front of the gate.

Saint Magdalene's was a women's shelter where I volunteered.

It catered to all kinds of battered and abused women and was my safe haven for a few hours every Saturday.

After everything I'd been through during my childhood I was especially sympathetic to victims of domestic violence. When I found this place I jumped at having a chance to help women who went through the same thing I did. I roped Morgan into helping by making him a therapy dog and together we try to make the world a better place.

After stuffing my bagel wrapper into my black purse, and I smoothed my hair back and pushed open the iron gate.

The was a large lawn in front of the house where children ran about screaming happily and a content smile slid unto my face.

The shelter was a huge Victorian-style house that welcomed anyone just from looking at it. It was surrounded by trees and gave off a cool aura.

Walking up the front steps I entered the Colonial-style lobby with black and white checkered marble floors. There was no one about which was understandable since it was just 7. I was about going to the back of the house when someone emerged with a cardboard box.

“Hi Morgan!” Alice squealed as she dropped the box and bent to greet my dog, her pink hair looking freshly dyed.

“It's funny how it's the dog you first saw,” I teased.

“Sorry,” she sighed and stood up. “Hi, Lex,” she yawned.

“Still not a morning person, are you, Alice?”

She shook her head and rubbed her eyes. It looked uncomfortable considering the chunky rings on the hand she used on her eye. “I still don't know how you do it, Lex.”

“My secret? Lots of coffee and a good song.”

She rolled her blue eyes. “Whatever you say. Now, you've got to help me set up for Gretchen's support group meeting, maybe Morgan would like to join them?” She directed the last part to Morgan who just licked his nose.

“Like? He'd love to!”

Alice picked up her box and after stuffing it under one arm linked the other with mine.