Chapter 2 -sadness(continuation)

For want of a better job, Brett started to dust the entire apartment. However, Eddy still hadn't come back and Brett began to worry that something bad had happened. He was about to call, but thought he better not bother him. So he pulled out a vacuum cleaner and tried not to let any bad thoughts come to him. Due to the hum of the vacuum cleaner, he didn't hear the sound of the door opening. Eddy entered the room panting with bags in both hands.

"Hi. I'm sorry it took so long."

"Oh, I didn't hear you." Brett turned off the vacuum cleaner and folded his arms over his chest.

"I know I promised to be back soon, but it's not my fault. There was an accident in the center and I wanted to take a detour but ran into a giant traffic jam. I stood on one of the traffic lights for about 20 minutes. And earlier I forgot where I parked and couldn't find the car... "Eddy explained.

"I don't want to believe ... "

"Well, I didn't make it up. What do you mean?"

"Okay, okay, I'm not angry."

"Thank you."

"You could at least call that you are here, so I would help you withthese bags. Elevator still broken?"

"Well, they could do something with it at last. Soon it will be a month since it's broke. Maybe we should call somewhere or something", Eddy thought aloud. "What do you think about it?"

"I don't think anything about it."

"There is always a lot to learn from you. Use yourself better for somethingand peel the potatoes."

Without a word, Brett obeyed.

"Weren't you bored alone?"

Brett shook his head.

"Come on, say something to me."

"Something. "

"Hey, don't be offended. "

"Am I offended?"

"You look like this."

"Well, sorry for looking like this, I am not offended. "

"For sure?"

"Mhm."

"What do you want to do tonight? We can go out somewhere so you don't stay home all day."

"Thought we were gonna record something?"

"We were recording yesterday. But if you want, we can."

"I feel like it somehow. "

"That'scool. "He looked at his friend for a moment. "Hey, smile a little."

Brett smiled.

"Better. Why are you so sulky, huh? You don't say anything, you look as if someone has stepped on you."

"Thanks."

"What? you really look like this. "

"Be careful that someone does not step on you."

"Haha, you're in a joking mood, huh? ... And again you say nothing. Then I will say something. I think we could buy a new camera. The other is barely breathing. It keeps crashing, freezing, low on memory and old. What do you think?"

"I do not know."

"Then find out."

"Ok. "

"What'sok what's ok?"

"It's a good idea."

"AND? "

"And nothing."

"And such a conversation with you. What is it? ... Okay, I won't say anything more, I won't pick on you."

Eddy turned on the radio so he wouldn't have to listen to the silence.Some pop music filled the air in the kitchen. He poured water intothe kettle and clicked the switch.

"No, I will say something. "

Brettsighed and looked questioningly at the taller.

"You either act normal or tell me what's going on."

Brett couldn't say what was going on. He didn't even know what was going on. Maybe the weather? Or maybe this unrequited love was tormenting him. In any case, he had to pretend everything was fine.

"I don't mean anything. I don't have to talk like you all the time. It's enough for you to talk like crazy."

"You think so?"

"I just said that, Eddy."

"So what happened? Don't act like it's nothing when I just see that is something. You can tell me."

"Nothing happened"

"I do not think so."

"Do I have to come up with something to please you or what?"

"Ok, then I won't ask. But if anything, say it, okay?"

"Mhm."

(e.c.)

Brett seemed to cheer up a little while recording. Yet it was obvious that something was wrong. But Eddy worried more that Brett wouldn't tell him what. Of course, everyone was entitled to their secrets, even their best friends, but if something made Brett feel like this...hmm, like what? He spoke little, avoided contact ... Not that Brett was generally bursting with energy or anything. But such a depressed Eddy hadn't seen him in a long time. What's been happening lately?Nothing special, I guess. They lived together for a long time, made films, played the violin. Maybe it's the whole lockdown. It was quite depressing and Brett had a tendency to take things very deeply. But he didn't say anything about it. He just laughed that he would finally practice. And why wouldn't he want to admit it? No, it had tobe something else. Eddy studied his friend's profile as he turned off the camera and lightbox. He sat down on the table.

"Brett, we need to talk."

Brett sighed in response and sat down in the chair opposite.

"About what?"

"What's happening? Please stop pretending everything is alright."

"Erm, I don't know. Maybe I'm a little sick ... "

Eddy stood up and touched his forehead, then his cheek with the back ofhis hand. They were not hot, or even too warm, but they turned slightly red in response to touch. Brett looked away.

"A drastic decrease in immunity from sitting at home?"

"Possible", Brett yawned. "I think I'll go take a shower."

"Good." Eddy ruffled Brett's hair.

"But you are telling me everything from now on. "

Brett nodded and left the room. After a moment his head popped out of the door.

"You don't have to worry about me so much."He smiled.

It was an impossibly sad and bitter smile, like a shadow of a smile. Which is why Eddy started to worry even more, and as he hadn't quite believed what Brett had said before, now he doubted it completely.

********************************************

Hi, thanks for reading!   As you may predict, Brett is coming up with something, you will know in the next chapter. Hope you will like it <333

                                                                                                                              ~nanamisia