#36 The Bride is Warned

"Are you stupid because you are an ass? Or because you are stupid, so, you are an ass?" was the first insult Ashton hurled at me, as I stepped out of I and Regalis's tent, and stood beside him, trembling inwards.

A fire torch blazed outside the tent.

I closed my eyes. He was allowed to call me the worst names to ever exist, after all, I just almost ended the life of someone he cares about.

"Will you tell Regalis?" I asked. I was not scared to receive the most hateful words Ashton's mind could cook up but, I was terrified to see the disappointment that would lurk in Regalis's eyes when he learns of this.

For a long time, Ashton didn't respond.

So, I opened my eyes and looked at him. His eyes too were closed. Was he thinking about what to do? Whether to tell Regalis directly or expose my crime to a camp full of soldiers, telling them that I just attempted to kill their Commander-in-Chief.

Ashton spoke, "why did you try to kill him?"

"Why?"

I didn't respond, and then he said, "have I ever told you how I met Regalis and Nadia?"

I shook my head, even though Ashton's eyes were still not open.

"I was born in a tribe, not far from Armalith. And though, Armalith has many faults, we know who to blame, King Randall" Ashton paused, "in my tribe, the people were to blame. Their thinking or should I say, our thinking, was backwards. They despised people like me. Men who love men. Women who loved women. And so, one day, my secret was discovered" he took a long pause "and since I was an abomination to them, they said I deserved to be slain".

He clenched his fist, "the boy they caught me kissing, was dragged by the end of a rope, tied to an untamed stallion, and dragged for hours on the stony grounds through the tribe. He bled to death from his injuries. A very slow and excruciating death".

He kicked a stone beneath his left foot, "I escaped before they could start my own sentence. I ran and fled for days. But soon, I waa cornered. Surrounded on all sides. So, I had to use my Gift".

"I fought them" he said "but they kept coming. Injured them, but, they refused to stop attacking. Broke a few persons' limbs, yet, they still would not stop trying to end me. That, was how deep their hate for people like me, ran".

"I multiplied, creating several clones of myself, but you can guess what happened next, I got drained. Tired. And totally exhausted. And then, I was captured. And so, because I attempted to flee, my punishment was to be burnt alive". He chuckled, but the pain he felt, showed on the lines of his cheeks.

"And then, I was tied to a stake. Ready for everything to end. Ready to lose my life" he said.

And then, he became stiff, like he could still see himself tied to that pyre, about to burn.

"At that second" he said "Regalis and Nadia rode in, on their horses. Swords in their hands. They were passing by, when they heard the commotion. 'Release him' Regalis said to my tribesmen".

"The mob leader looked at Regalis, as though he was insane, 'you don't know what he did' the mob leader said".

"And Regalis answered, 'I don't care. Hundred cowards against one boy, is all I see' ".

"He and Nadia stepped down from their horses, and fought those cowards. Freed me and then, gave me a new life, friends and home here in Armalith".

His eyes, opened. Ire, burning in them. If someone had told me, that I would one day see a side of Ashton that was neither smiling nor cracking jokes, I wouldn't have believed it. This side of him was one I believed only showed, when his heart was involved.

I stepped back. As he moved towards me silently like a bird of prey would. And judging from the look in his intense brown eyes, he must be seeing me as a squirrel - a bird of prey's favourite meal to devour.

"I may not be Nadia and so, may not I've known Regalis as long as her but, I love him. I wouldn't be here without him" he said.

Nadia. I thought. I was certain of one thing, if Nadia had been the one who caught me, I'd be fighting for my life right now. She and Regalis go way back. After Regalis left the Capital, the person who raised him was the previous Commander-in-Chief, Nadia's father.

"I'll forgive you today, because of Regalis, he'd be heartbroken if he finds out the truth. And secondly, because of Shalott. Female dragons can sniff out threats to their masters. And if Shalott has still chosen not to eat you, I'll act as though she sees something special in you, however -" he paused.

And in a soldier's voice. The voice he'd most likely use to warn an enemy to surrender, before a fierce battle began. A battle where he was fully dedicated to disembowling all who crossed him, and he said,

"if I ever catch you again, repeating this same act, I promise, on that day, either you or I would have to die".