Headstart

"Are you sure about this, Em?"

It was Tuesday after school and I was in the gym locker rooms with Amy and Kate.

"Yeah of course. Why?"

"I don't know. It's the mens soccer team. Varsity. And your brothers are on the team.", said Kate.

"I play high performance on a guys team anyway, what's the worst they could do?"

"Does this mean you'll have to use the guys locker room before practice?", asked Amy.

"Don't be such a girl.", I laughed shoving a warm up tee over my nike sports bra.

"I'm just saying."

"It's not like I'm going to make the team, I'm an eighth grader, Amy."

"Yeah, but what if you do!", she exclaimed.

"But what if she doesn't.", Kate whispered.

We both turned to look at her. So much for moral support.

"What?"

"Look, I'm just saying if you make the team your brothers will make fun of you in front of all those hot varsity guys. And if you don't make the team then they'll tease you and you'll be dissapointed that they out shone you. Either way it's not going to go down well with your brothers."

"You know what, for once in my life I'm going to stop worrying about including my brothers in every decision I make. So what if they tease me, they do it enough already. And besides, I'm not doing it for them."

"You're doing it because you love soccer.", Kate nodded, tightening the goggles around the back of her red hair.

"No, she's doing it to impress Josh.", said Amy.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed my cleats from inside my locker.

"Oh my god, you totally are!", Kate screeched.

"Shut up you two! Before half of China finds out."

"You still never told us about the kiss."

I shoved my clothes in the locker and slammed the front cage.

"What's there to tell?"

"You have got to be kidding be, Emily Kingston. That was your first!", Kate exclaimed.

"Yeah, well if my brothers find out, it'll be my last. Just keep this between you two and the rest of our friends okay? I don't want another murder case on my hand, I already have to put up with them."

"Okay, go kill em' tiger!", Amy whooped pushing me down the hall.

I smiled at her and pushed out the doors onto the field. Crossing over the red track I could already see the boys warming up by the benches. Josh was on the other side of the field doing drills for junior varsity tryouts. He caught sight of me and I quickly turned away, blushing. It was now or never.

I marched right up to the the varsity side of the field and signed in on the clipboard that was left on the bench.

"Shrimp?"

I turned and saw Logan.

"I thought you would've chickened out.", he said.

Some of his other friends approached us from behind him. It was hard to say that I wasn't intimitated but there were at least 50 amazingly beautiful guys trying out for this team. I better not screw up my chances or I might just have to move schools.

"Name?", asked the coaches sitting down at the plastic fold out table.

"But I already signed in on the clip board-"