Chapter 29

After breakfast, I had the half of the day to relax, while I had the chance. After supper, we had to get fitted for our armour. Like I said, it was no rag-tag fight.

Near our hotel was a small, secluded park. Atticus and I silently walked over and we sat under an oak tree. The leaves had turned yellow and the air had a light breeze. Leaves littered the ground. I hadn't even noticed that fall had arrived.

"Summer's over..." I trailed off as I turned to look at Atticus, who was fiddling with a leaf. He nodded solemnly. "I had plans for us to do summery things." He sighed and leaned against the tree trunk.

I raised my eyebrows. "Like what?" I rested on my elbows with my legs sprawled in front of me. He chewed on his lip before responding. "Well, you know, camping and swimming and stuff. I wanted to teach you how to drive a quad too." He sat up straighter so he could look into my eyes as he spoke.

"There's always next year." I smiled at the thought. Atticus had a sullen look to his face. I knew what he was thinking, but I had refused to admit it to myself. I grabbed his larger hand in mine. The gesture made him look up. His electric green orbs bore into my golden ones.

"Stop thinking that I'm going to be gone again," I said gently. "I promise that everything will work fine. I'm not going anywhere." I wanted so badly to crawl into his arms, to feel his warmth. I hoped my eyes did the speaking for me.

Atticus' features softened and it was evident that we both wanted the same thing. My heart was begging for him, but my conscious was trying not to get hurt again, even though I knew he wouldn't hurt me.

"Arianna, I can't live like this," Atticus moaned, throwing his hands over his eyes and rubbed them dramatically. "I want you to be my girl. And you can't deny that you feel something too. When I see you, my heart flutters kind of fast and my legs shake. No one's ever made me feel like that. You know that I'd do anything for you."

My wolf boy had definitely grown into a fine man. I couldn't stop myself from moving closer to where he was sitting. I leaned forward and met my lips with his. He tasted of cigarettes and mint gum. Our noses brushed gently as he moved his head to deepen the kiss. It was my first official kiss and my head was foggy.

Atticus grabbed my hip and pulled me onto his lap. My heart was beating out of my chest and I could feel my cheeks flush pink. We pulled away slightly.

"After this fucking war, I'm keeping you all to myself." Atticus growled as his tight arms wrapped around my torso to bring me into a warm hug.

I let myself relax into his chest. He ran his fingers through my hair with such gentleness that I realized that I never knew how good love could feel. He was all I wanted, Atticus was all that I needed.

"I promise, after we're done fighting and everything settles, we can be together. For now, we need to focus on getting through this." I told him softly. I raised my head to give him one last honey sweet kiss.

"Race you to the swing set!" I called as I rolled off of him and jumped to my feet.

. . . .

Gabriel knew of a welder who made the finest chains and steel. He planned to get everyone enough armour to protect our weakest points. For me, I had to wear a chain chest piece and a pair of thick leggings.

As for weapons; guns were human toys. We used our powers, and for those of us whose powers weren't offensive, we used daggers and knives.

Speaking of powers, it had been a long time since I last used mine. My body had been recharged and itching to use what I was born to. I knew my limits and what I was capable of. What I was most proud of, was how my body had grown much more stronger than it ever had been.