Chapter Forty-Eight: Just a Couple More

Start from the beginning

"Here hop on." I said offering her my back.

"I couldn't."

"Come on it will be fine." I said kneeling down to make it easier.

She decided to go with it in the end putting her legs over my arms and arms around my shoulders, pressing her chest against my back as I picked her up giving her the piggie back.

"I think I'll be able to manage most of the way."

"let me off before we get into town."

"I will, don't worry."

Lillia was even lighter than I remembered. She wasn't an exactly chunky girl, but she was muscular on her slim frame. I was definitely gaining strength every time I went up a level.

"Oh, look at that. Lucky princess." Laughed Siofra.

"Don't laugh!" Snorted Lillia.

"Don't worry this isn't a princess carry and you need this." I reassured her.

I'm sure I could've easily done that, but not all the way back to town. With Lillia now on my back we could make our way a lot more quickly than before and before long the town walls started to come into sight. Before the guards could make us out on the approach, I let Lillia down to walk the last of the way, avoiding her the embarrassment.

As we walked the final leg into the town, I opened my skill window, I had sixteen points I could spend now. I decided that I should spend most of the points on things that would help increase my survivability, luckily for me though the next custom skill cost had dropped to one point. I had levelled up three times since I had last gained one.

With the enough points now, the next skill was visible. It read "purification". I had to wonder how that one would work. I couldn't even think how that one would be able to backfire like the others had. I didn't think much more of it and closed the window as we made our way up to the town gates. Once back inside the city walls, we headed back to the guild house.

We stepped into the guild hall. It was pretty quiet there, just the odd adventurer here and there checking out the quest board or at the front desk. It was early afternoon, so there were a few others sat at the tables having lunch. There were two occupied tables at the far end I could see Altira and Serin were sat there seemingly having a chat with two girls on the next table along. The conversation ended when they noticed that we had returned.

"Theo, you're back earlier than I thought. Did everything go well?" Asked Serin as we joined them.

"Yeah, it went well. It wasn't easy but we all came back unharmed and I managed to level up twice."

"That's great news."

"So, these two looked after you then?" Asked Altria.

"Yes, of course, they did. We worked well as a team I think."

"You sure everything was okay? Lillia looks exhausted." Serin asked, noticing that Lillia had quietly slung herself straight into the nearest seat.

"Yeah, we had to rely on Lillia's magic a lot. There was an entire herd of dark unicorns."

"I see, sounds hard going!"

"It was a bit... How did it go with armour?" I asked noticing that both Serin and Altria were sat in their casual clothes.

"Yes, it should be fixed by this afternoon. We were lucky it's so quiet here. They had no work on, so they were happy to take our rush order." Answered Serin.

"That is lucky, we won't have to delay our quest."

"Yes, we're actually going to be a day ahead of schedule." Lillia added, perking up a little now she had sat down. "There's something else I'd like to tell you both as you weren't with us this morning."

"What is it?" Asked Altria.

"Siofra has agreed to join our party. She's going to guide us through the dungeon."

"That's great news." Serin said happily.

"Yes, it's going to be a great help." Agreed Lillia.

"Why the sudden change?" Altria asked, a hint of suspicion in her voice.

"After thinking it over, I just decided it was the right thing to do and it's been so long since I partied with Lillia."

"Oh, I see, and this has nothing to do with Theo?"

Altria was as perceptive as ever.

"Well, I did think it would be wrong of me to let you go there unguided with a novice adventurer." Siofra answered with just a hint of excitement in her voice.